Is this a common problem with AD

Margaret938

Just wondering if anyone has notice this problem with their loved ones suffering from AD. George has started being a bit restless, and bending forward looking at the floor, then straightening himself up again and continuing to watch tv. I try hard to settle him trying all sorts of things to distract him from looking at the floor. This does not happen all the time, but has done every day this week while I have been visiting him. I am wondering if he is trying to stand up, perhaps he feels that he wants to walk. Unfortunately, he is now immobile and in the wheelchair while I am visiting him. I like him to be in the wheelchair because I take him to his room, so that we can share time together. he also has a problem with his posture, he leans to the right, but again not every day.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Margaret-lovely to hear from you again-but I'm sorry that you have some new worries about George.

Re. being restless; Pete was more restless/agitated than usual when he had an infection.As for leaning to one side that quite often indicated constipation. If constipation could be ruled out the leaning was just one of those things that happened with no explanation.:confused: Pete's consultant told me it was a medical mystery as to why it happened in Dementia patients. (It does have a medical term but I can't remember it).

I hope you are not too worried about all this Margaret-if you are could you phone George's GP/Consultant to get some reassurance/advice?

Take care of yourself

Love

Lyn T XX

Margaret938

Hello Lyn T, thanks for your reply, I suppose I am just a bit anxious just now, because George has been so happy and contented for quite some time now, and it is difficult to watch him being a bit restless. I don't think it has anything to do with constipation or bladder problems, I think he thinks that he can still walk, and it is his way of trying to get up and walk, I dream of a miracle happening and that as if by magic he just gets up on his feet and once again walk.....but alas it is only a dream. Apart from this latest problem I still have lovely visits with him everyday, and it is not all doom and gloom, I get lots of lovely smiles and I can still make him laugh. I cannot deny that Life is hard living with AD, and I should be happy that I find him happy for almost all of our afternoon together. I should know by now that I have to accept everything as it comes, but like everyone else on TP things have a habit of not going the way would like them to. Everyday is a challenge, a never ending rollercoaster and to be honest, I am no better now than I was when George was first diagnosed.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Once constipation and infection have been ruled out of the equation as LynT suggests, Margaret I am sorry but you will have to accept that any behaviour is "normal" to the loved one with dementia. That is what I was told at my husband's NH very early on by the Senior Carer and it certainly helped me to cope with very strange behaviour at times during my husband's residence there. Maybe like my poor man he is beginning to have mild hallucinations and in his mind is actually seeing things on the floor. I sometimes wondered if my boy had "floaters" which in his dazed brain became real images.

Thinking of you and hope your visits remain peaceful. WIFE

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
What wife has said about floaters makes me think. Dad wants to pick up bits (of fluff or dirt) on the carpet and will get up (as he's mobile but unsteady) to get them whatever else is going on. Sometimes I wonder how he sees them as his sight is not fantastic - but a mix of floaters and real specks on the floor would explain his 'fascination'. It does make him restless and he doesn't like it if I tell him I'll get out the sweeper, though he's getting used to me doing that now as I don't want him scrabbling about on his knees.
I've read other posts about people wanting to pick up tiny bits - so maybe your husband is still seeing something, wants to pick it up but eventually accepting he can't or getting bored.
Just a thought.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby (Vascular Dementia) sometimes reaches out as if to touch something which simply is not there. He also looks at the floor at times and I have been told that this is common in VaD/AD, especially if there is a pattern on the carpet eg thinking that there is a hole in the floor when it is only patterned shape.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred, too, often picks up little bits of the floor. Have often wondered what he is seeing. He too has poor eyesight.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Dizdo123

Jan 23, 2015
what stage is my husband at with Alzheimers

Hi I am a Newbie and my husband was diagnosed last year as having alzheimers/Dementia after many years of him being aggressive . He is on mementine tablets andwhen he drops off to sleep he starts talking as if someone is with him and he has started reaching out to try and pick things off the blankets or on the settee if that is where he had a nap. He is obsessed by what day it is and asks all the time and with his keys and glasses and if he mislays them which he seemd=s to be doing a lot lately he wont let me look for them it is as if he is trying to prove to himself that he knows where they are and he eventually finds them. I wonder what stage he is at as he walks the dog every day on his own as he thinks he isn't losing his mind I suppose that is part and parcel of this disease. I have noticed that when he gets dressed that his dress sense has gone out the window so have to be subtle in handling the situation and find that by turning situations into fun that we can sometimes have a good laugh as I feel that it is easier for my husband if I don't point out his failings and accept that he has a problem. I just feel that over the last 4 weeks his memory and his grasping of conversations has declined rapidly. He still does crosswords but when he reads the newspaper out to me which he always has done , he stumbles over the words so wonder what stage he is at. He is very positive which I encourage as once he becomes negative I am sure he will go under quicker. I send out lots of hugs to all the carers and families who are going through this and of course the patients also. :)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Margaret's question about leaning forward might just be something we all do (I do it all the time) to make yourself more comfortable but it has become more exaggerated, a quick lean forward and the cushion behind you drops down a bit and when you lean back it's more comfortable.
I hardly ever need to hoover the laminate floor my wife picks up ever bit of cotton, fluff and hair she sees, she even tries to pick the pattern off the floor sometimes, my mother was the same so I guess it goes with the disease finding things on the floor and picking them up she's handing me things she's found on the floor all the time.
Welcome Dizo, I entirely agree "once he becomes negative I am sure he will go under quicker" the lighter you can keep it the longer his light will stay on.
K

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Margaret, it's nice to hear from you though I'm sorry for the reason.
I haven't much to add but Dave was always picking at non-existing things in his hands. Then he would hold up 'thread' which wasn't there so the suggestion of floaters is a possiiblity I guess.
I'm sorry you are worried but pleased that you still have your smiles and can spend comfortable times together. Your love has always been so strong. xxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Dizdo and welcome to TP :)

It sounds like your husband can still do quite a bit for himself and that you are doing a great job. Sadly there is no sure-fire way of knowing what stage someone's at, or how quickly the disease will progress. Some people prefer to deal with the here and now anyway, which is really all any of us can do.

You could google 'stages of Alzheimer's', but personally I find that dealing with the present is the way to go, for me, anyway.

All the best :)

Lindy xx

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Hi Margaret.
I wonder if you have a carpet with a pattern? We have a checked cloth on the table and my husband spends ages making sure his plate is exactly in the middle He counts the squares on each side and adjusts his table mat accordingly. It seems very important that it is just right. He also has to fold his clothes just-so. He hardly bothered at all when he was well!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I'm glad your visits are still full of love and laughter, Margaret, may it long continue xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
John was also a picker-upper and had a habit of looking over my shoulder at ...... nothing. He would also take an imaginary object to pieces, with his eyes shut, and even reach forward if he dropped part of this object, to pick it up.

I'm afraid it's one of the mysteries of AD, but he obviously saw something.

Margaret938

Hello All,
Thank you for your replies, and I have taken on board that this is just another cross I will have to bear, I do try very hard to take a day at a time, but when there is always another bridge to cross it is not always easy. There is a slight pattern on the carpet, so this could be part of the problem. I had a terrible fall in the street on Friday, I think I missed ther kerb and went down full force on my face hitting the pavement with my full body weight. I am a sorry sight, bruises appearing everywhere. I don't know who got the biggest shock myself or my brother who was walking behind me. I missed my visit to George on Friday afternoon, because I was in shock, and was advised by the sister at the hospital to have a rest. I went up on Saturday, and it was strange to see the reaction he had to seeing my bruised and battered face....he was obviously concerned when he looked at it and did give me a very sympathetic smile. I could tell he cared and was pleased to see that he can still show the emotions that he would have shown had he been well. I even got the magic words "I love you" which he has not said for quite a number of weeks now. Today he was still very concerned for me and he said my name, I can't remember the last time he actually said my name, I could have wept with joy. I think I may have solved the problem of him leaning forward, for the timebeing at any rate, I have put the ottoman in front of your chairs in his room, and he was very contented sitting close to me with our feet up while we watched television. There is no knowing how long this will last, but it worked ok today and yesterday.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Margaret so sorry about your fall it does shake up so much, at least it did some good made George realise how poorly you were, that was lovely for you, l do hope you soon feel better sending you a big ((((HUG)))) ♡♡♡

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Margaret-what a shock. I hope you recover soon. That fall sounds horrendous.

On to happier things:) George sounds such a sweetie; how lovely that he was so concerned, he used your name and said that he loved you. I've had a few tears I must admit. Tears of joy that George still has a close connection to you.

Well done for finding a solution to the bending over problem-you are very clever. As you say problem solved for now. I noticed that you were awake during the early hours-I hope you are not in pain because of the fall.

Love

Lyn T XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear of your fall Margaret. What a shock you must have had. I hope you are on the road to recovery now. Some lovely moments with George. Take care. x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Margaret, I am so sorry to learn of your fall. Do take it easy for a while, as I expect it will have taken a bit of a toll on you.
Glad that George continues well, and your visits bring you so much comfort.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti