Is there training for carers available?

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
I had a chat with my GP today. It was good to offload a bit to a sympathetic ear. I had a number of frustrations to get off my chest, one of which is making sure my dad-in-law's intimate areas are kept clean. I have changed his carers recently, because his previous carers were not cleaning him properly, and the district nurses commented on his poor hygiene when changing his catheter - this happened more than once. The problem I have is that I have no way of knowing whether the new carers are doing a good enough job! I feel frustrated that the district nurses won't visit in between his catheter changes to check, unless he actually develops a UTI. I do understand that there are severe pressures on the NHS, but surely, prevention is better than cure??

But then it occurred to me that maybe I could get some training in catheter care? The GP didn't know about any schemes offering training for carers, but thought it might be worth me looking into. I wouldn't want to do the carers' job for them, but I would like to check occasionally that all is well 'down there' for him. It's not a straightforward situation though, as he has a large inguinal hernia that causes his penis to become retracted. There is a similar issue with keeping his anal area clean, because the hernia obstructs his access and he cannot clean himself after voiding his bowels. I'm lucky enough to have a strong constitution and a weak sense of smell, so I'm not bothered about dealing with the business end of things. I'd just like to get some control over the situation and reassure myself that everything possible is being done to minimise the risk of a UTI.

I just wondered, is there any such thing as training for carers? Any advice would be gratefully received! Thank you. xxx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I have no idea sorry.
Could you ask the district nurse to show you good catheter hygiene & care.
My FIL is cathertered & the DNs have always helped show MIL what she needs to do.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You've raised a very important issue, not just in relation to your own need. I confess I don't know the answer but wanted to respond and thank you. I suppose you could ask the District Nurses and your DIL's Social Worker if he has one.

Also, you are entitled to a carer's assessment and that would be a good place to raise the issue of training.

In an ideal world all sorts of things, including training, would be offered immediately after diagnosis.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi DMac, I carry out catheter care many times a day in my job . If you want I could go over the principles with you . If you would like that , please message me . Best wishes . Lou

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Thank you

Hi DMac, I carry out catheter care many times a day in my job . If you want I could go over the principles with you . If you would like that , please message me . Best wishes . Lou

Thank you for your replies, everyone. I will ask the district nurses and my DIL's GP as well, to see if they would be willing to provide some training. He is having a visit from the OT tomorrow, so I'll ask them as well. Lou - thanks especially for your offer. If I don't get any success from any of the above, I will then PM you for advice.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many other carers would like more training? Could there be a business opportunity here?? :D

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I take care of everything to do with hubby's catheter, except for changing the actual catheter which must be done only by a qualified nurse. Catheter is left in for three months, unless there is a problem.

Scrupulous hygiene is essential when emptying bags, replacing bags, etc. so whoever is doing (you or care worker?) will need to be aware of hygiene at all times.

I am not sure whether you will actually be doing this (?) or just want to be fully aware of what is entailed - and how care workers need to carry out this task?

Hubby was in hospital when catheter was introduced - I asked nurse to show me what I would need to do at home - there wasn't a course offered. District Nurse comes in every three months to change the catheter but the rest is left up to me.

However, I can understand that it is a bit daunting at first so please keep posting and ask anything you feel anxious about.