Is there assistance for travelling abroad?

Lyncher

Aug 30, 2015
Highland
My Mum has early stages of dementia; really just some memory loss. She would love to travel to the U.S.A to visit my sister but is worried about clearing Immigration (they can be quite horrible!) by herself. My brother in law who is a US citizen has volunteered to take her over but again, immigration would be the problem. I could arrange assistance but am unsure if this would help. Does anybody have any experience of this

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That is an interesting question. I've googled a little and while there are info sheets out there for travelling with dementia, like this one: http://www.alzscot.org/assets/0000/0146/travel.pdf
i haven't found one that deals specifically with the possibility of unsympathetic immigration officers. Obviously, the doctor could write a letter about her condition but I wouldn't know how much immigration officers are used to dementia.

Would the American embassy be able to shed some light?

Deputypink

Aug 4, 2013
Travel assistance

My Mum recently met us in Portugal- she travelled out from an airport she knows well ( my friend helped her chck in and then took her to passport control) . I asked monarch for special needs assistance . They helped her off the plane and dropped her off at passport control . They were fab - I know this does not answer your question but it is good to know that air carriers will help !

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I hate to say this but have you checked whether any insurer will cover your mum for travel to USA with early stage dementia? In my experience this is difficult. Can your sister not come to visit mum?
Tre

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
Hi,
For a relatively hassle free trip through the airport system each end book her as in need of assistance. Wheelchair. These guys are brilliant & there will be very little chance of her getting lost. She will not be bothered having long walks either to & from the gates. In the US you also go to the head of the queue as immigration.

One who knows!

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
I took my husband who has early Alzheimers to Malta in June. When we went through immigration i told them about the Alzheimers they let me wait for him and go through so i could assist him. He hates the part where you put everyting in a box i sorted it out for him.

Lyncher

Aug 30, 2015
Highland
Thank you

Hi,
For a relatively hassle free trip through the airport system each end book her as in need of assistance. Wheelchair. These guys are brilliant & there will be very little chance of her getting lost. She will not be bothered having long walks either to & from the gates. In the US you also go to the head of the queue as immigration.

One who knows!

I think my Mum is scared that she will not understand the immigration officials when she gets there. Will the person assisting her help with this too?