is there anywhere on line for consulting about possible diagnosis

Campigirl

Nov 19, 2017
I am 54 living with my partner for 12 years who is 62 who was diagnosed with bi polar, 20 years ago and is excellent at taking his meds. However in recent years his memory is getting worse and I am not sure if it is related to aging, the Bi Polar or Alzheimer’s. He is very stubborn and there is no way he would go to our GP to discuss it.

Here are a few of the changes... His memory for names and navigation was always bad but now it is very bad. He finds it very hard following simple directions and has difficulty recalling names, that he should know. He always loved numbers, but now admits that he is finding them harder work. Has accused me of loosing the keys twice, when he has had them all the time. Has become obsessed with keeping fit, always a favourite activity but now undertaking to the point of exhaustion thus excluding many other activities from our life.

Both our mothers have Alzheimer’s and I am naturally a neurotic person, thus I have been worrying for over two years but haven’t done anything about it.

I live in Spain and do not want him to know my concerns and respect his privacy, by not going to our own GP. Any information on aging with bi polar and Alzheimer’s would be appreciated.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi @Campigirl welcome to TP

I personally doubt the you could with any certainty get a diagnosis online.

I would advise, if you can? Get him to the GP to see if there is any other underlying medical reason for the memory loss ie B12 deficiency? I appreciate what you are saying but I think you need to get him to the GP’s using what ever pretext you think might work!
My another member will have some more suggestions for you, please keep posting.

Campigirl

Nov 19, 2017
Thanks Helen the B12 idea is great, on a better day I’ll drop it in to conversation and see how it goes.

The online thing is me grabbing at straws after a bad period, I normally cope with his demanding way but I have been under the weather and then I loose my patience.

Unfortunately neither of us work so we spend the best part of 24/7 together....it gets hard when he is on a downward spiral.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thanks Helen the B12 idea is great, on a better day I’ll drop it in to conversation and see how it goes.

The online thing is me grabbing at straws after a bad period, I normally cope with his demanding way but I have been under the weather and then I loose my patience.

Unfortunately neither of us work so we spend the best part of 24/7 together....it gets hard when he is on a downward spiral.
I wrote to the doctor first, and asked him to send for OH under a different pretext which he did, and it all rolled on from there.

Campigirl

Nov 19, 2017
I must admit I have been thinking along those lines and to this end keeping a log of good examples of the problem, but like I said before, I do not like to betray his trust. Also what does putting a name to it do, in our parents case nothing has changed, but it may give me peace of mind that I have done everything and perhaps I am making mountains out of mole hills.
PS used to live in East Devon now in not so sunny Spain....which isn’t helping the mood.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951