Is there anything else we can do?

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
I am really struggling with MIL at the moment, two part problem me thinks.

She seems to be having delusions and hallucinations most of the time that she’s awake now, the haloperidol prescribed to help with sundowning is having no effect at all now. She either sleeps or is backwards and forwards from her annexe to the house with some story or other, none of it has any truth.

Spending time with her, getting her to do small jobs makes no difference, she starts again as soon as she’s finished the task. She won’t or can’t interact with the Crossroads carers who come in twice a week for a couple of hours and spends most of the time dozing and doesn’t converse with them.

She had a UTI a couple of weeks ago which is now clear after antibiotics and is otherwise in rude health. :eek:

My health is not good at the moment as my fibromyalgia has flared up so I’m on a short fuse with her and Himself. I’m just so fed up with not being able to complete a task without interruptions, everything takes so long and I’m exhausted most of the time. I never feel like I’ve achieved anything at the end of the day, I just fire fight.

She is going into respite at the end of April when we are having our first holiday for 5 years, a week on the Norfolk Broads in a boat. I’m also booked for a meditation weekend at Launde Abbey at the beginning of April so there are nice things to look forward to.

Not sure if this is just a phase she’s going through but am thinking that calling the GP to review her meds and maybe ask for a referral back to Mental Health Team is the way to go. Although I'm not sure there's much they can do I would feel better if we spoke to someone with knowledge of the problems we are experiencing.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

She’s been over twice whilst I’ve been writing this... grrrr :mad::mad:

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
I am really struggling with MIL at the moment, two part problem me thinks.

She seems to be having delusions and hallucinations most of the time that she’s awake now, the haloperidol prescribed to help with sundowning is having no effect at all now. She either sleeps or is backwards and forwards from her annexe to the house with some story or other, none of it has any truth.

Spending time with her, getting her to do small jobs makes no difference, she starts again as soon as she’s finished the task. She won’t or can’t interact with the Crossroads carers who come in twice a week for a couple of hours and spends most of the time dozing and doesn’t converse with them.

She had a UTI a couple of weeks ago which is now clear after antibiotics and is otherwise in rude health. :eek:

My health is not good at the moment as my fibromyalgia has flared up so I’m on a short fuse with her and Himself. I’m just so fed up with not being able to complete a task without interruptions, everything takes so long and I’m exhausted most of the time. I never feel like I’ve achieved anything at the end of the day, I just fire fight.

She is going into respite at the end of April when we are having our first holiday for 5 years, a week on the Norfolk Broads in a boat. I’m also booked for a meditation weekend at Launde Abbey at the beginning of April so there are nice things to look forward to.

Not sure if this is just a phase she’s going through but am thinking that calling the GP to review her meds and maybe ask for a referral back to Mental Health Team is the way to go. Although I'm not sure there's much they can do I would feel better if we spoke to someone with knowledge of the problems we are experiencing.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

She’s been over twice whilst I’ve been writing this... grrrr :mad::mad:

I think you've answered your own questions! Sounds like a very good idea to call the GP for a meds review and referral back to Mental Health. It's important to let those people know that you are struggling, and MiL is delusional and hallucinating. That's all very challenging stuff, and you shouldn't have to deal with it on your own - let alone while managing your own health issues.

Good luck.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think it's perhaps time for you to be thinking of your own care Margaret.
Perhaps a different drug might your MIL help more as Joanne has suggested.
I suppose there's not a chance an infection might be involved.

It's a long time until the end of April and too long for you to be in pain alongside trying to cope with your MIL.
Is there any chance a little more respite? x

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Thanks for your responses.

I have a telephone consultation booked for Monday with GP so we'll see what she has to say. She's usually very good but with her time so short she isn't able to do what the MH team can do, eg come to the house, talk to us and observe MIL. I think this is necessary, as much for me as for MIL so will be asking/pushing GP for re referral.

Don't think more respite is on the cards Saffie. The place she goes to is very booked up as they are 1 of only 2 places nearby that do bookable respite. Also, it costs £750 a week! She does go on Wednesday for daycare so that's a bit of respite in the week.

Had a nice snooze whilst carer here and MIL wasn't constantly coming over, lovely! :D Onwards and upwards :rolleyes:

Last edited:

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Does she go to day care at all? That might give you a break, especially as you are not 100% fit yourself.
Possibly ask the GP to give her a good check over and medication review and if social services are also around maybe a full review of her care might be in order. If they aren't involved then get the GP to refer her to them.
You must look after you. It's important to all of you xxx