Is there anyone out there who wants a laugh?

Matrix

Nov 4, 2011
Yorkshire
I'd like to find someone out there who is happy and laughs and jokes a lot - who is also caring for a loved one as well or has done - I desperately need some fun and frivolity and to become the happy go lucky person I used to be.
I've been living with my mum for about 7 years and looking after her for about 9 years
from when she got the first symptoms of dementia.
All I ever talk about is related to my mums situation and dealing with it one way or other
I moved to yorkshire 7 years ago and have not been able to make any friends because of the isolation of not being able to go out in the evening
Now my mum is very frail yet I have decided I want to move out and get a place on my own - over recent months Ive decided this - but am finding it too hard for lots of reasons.
Does anyone live in York or nearby who is young at heart and who can help me get rid of my sadness? I don't want sympathy just fun.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you find someone Matrix, being a primary carer is very isolating especially when you have relocated.

However I must draw your attention and the attention of others to Talking Point`s recommendations for Staying Safe on Line.

Leolady56

Aug 9, 2014
South Africa
Needing humour in your life...

I'd like to find someone out there who is happy and laughs and jokes a lot - who is also caring for a loved one as well or has done - I desperately need some fun and frivolity and to become the happy go lucky person I used to be.
I've been living with my mum for about 7 years and looking after her for about 9 years
from when she got the first symptoms of dementia.
All I ever talk about is related to my mums situation and dealing with it one way or other
I moved to yorkshire 7 years ago and have not been able to make any friends because of the isolation of not being able to go out in the evening
Now my mum is very frail yet I have decided I want to move out and get a place on my own - over recent months Ive decided this - but am finding it too hard for lots of reasons.
Does anyone live in York or nearby who is young at heart and who can help me get rid of my sadness? I don't want sympathy just fun.

Hi Matrix - Though it would be a lie for me to say I am jolly and full of laughs all the time would be downright dishonest. I have been taking care of my 94 year old Mom now for 7 years and as we live alone in a small flat - it can become *incredibly* isolating, lonely and it's very easy to become very 'down.'

What I have found is that my computer has been a saviour in many ways. I am housebound with Mom but I have family members overseas plus email pen pals and I get a steady stream of 'funnies' which are sent to me daily. They are attachments and it's always fun to go on my P.C. to see who has sent me what and I can spend time having some good giggles, loud laughter and simply be awe-inspired by some of the attachments which take me across the world to view amazing, beautiful or unusual National Geographic types of attachments. I also forward those on to people who tell me they enjoy receiving these and that it keeps them more positive and not so isolated when they get regular email posts coming in.

If you care to - you can write to me *email removed* and I will then write to you from my private server and add you to my address book if this interests you at all. I have few people locally who I can still socialize with as most of my long term friends/family have immigrated years ago but it does bring a bit of fun and it also helps bring relief from feeling totally isolated.

Warmest wishes - Ladyleo56

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi leolady:)

I don't think it's wise to include your email address in a post on an open forum.
You could always Private message matrix with it.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks for pointing that out, Cat.

As Grannie G says, we are happy for Talking Point members to share their experiences but ask our members not to share personal information because this could compromise your own safety.

You could try finding a local group, Matrix?

>Local information<

Leolady56

Aug 9, 2014
South Africa
Don't know how to 'private post' ????

Hi leolady:)

I don't think it's wise to include your email address in a post on an open forum.
You could always Private message matrix with it.

I did not see that it could be problematic as I only go into my Yahoo account at the library when changing my books... this way I keep my own computer at home safe at all times...

Perhaps someone can tell me how do I privately send my offer to Matrix? I'm not sure how to do that....

Many thanks :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If you click on the name of the person you want to contact you will be taken to their profile. When you are at that page you will see on the left hand side of the screen the words 'send private message'. If you click on that you will be able to write your PM to that person.

If you click on the word 'notifications' at the top of the screen that will take you to your own PM Inbox where you ca check and read any messages sent to you. You can send a PM from there too. If you type the person's user name into the box you will be ready to write and send your message.