Is there any point?

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Mum had never been formally diagnosed until the awful court of protection process recently, deemed a special court visitor was necessary to assess Mums capacity in making various decisions. I looked up his qualifications and he was a doctor in psychiatry. After spending just half an hour with Mum and her having got a low score on the Ace iii test, it said in his report she had severe dementia and no capacity to make decisions, yet said this was all masked due to her happy disposition and eloquence when speaking!!! I believe she does have some sort of cognitive problem but certainly not what I would think to be "severe dementia".

Would there be any point in going to a memory clinic and getting a formal diagnosis of what type she has or not? I dont want her to be put through anymore upset having had such a terrible time with the court case but wondered whether TP folk thought it would be worthwhile or not?

Mum lives at home with me and I care for her full time although her needs are relatively minimal, just needs a walking stick to get around, help with getting dressed and showered and meals and drinks given. She has nighttime incontinence but isn't too bad in the day really. She has a varied and stimulating life as we do lots of things and I take her out a lot so do I really need her "tagged" with the type she has? Would it be useful?

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I will be alone in saying this but in some cases there isn't much point. 5 years into the journey we have had 2 new young drs who are really keen to get a diagnosis for hubs. He refused, just like he did 4 years ago with the cpn. He doesn't have behavioural issues and is virtually bedbound and I for one don't want to upset the applecart until and unless it becomes necessary. All the other drs know his thoughts and just accept it but these enthusiastic youngsters know less than we do about the dementia system.
But that is my point of view and to be fair I think you will get far more in favour of diagnosis

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
In my case, no one was even interested enough to diagnose. Six and a half years later; hubby was started on a care package that has seen him blossom. I won't go into any more detail for now, as I hate scaring people.

Whatever happens for you, Tryingmybest; the thing you most need is to make sure you have a raft of help/support, as and when you need it. Long as your Mum's health needs are met, and yours as well, that's really all that matters.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'd say in your mum's case the only benefit I can see is potential medication but it's doubtful how much it helps anyway. For anything else like access to care, well you have the official diagnosis by a psychiatrist. That ought to be enough.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I agree with the others. You are probably doing such a good job of looking after your Mum that the worst possible aspects of her dementia are indeed masked. The label really doesn't matter at this stage if you are satisfied with her treatment.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you all so much. That's what I thought really there was little real need to know. I suppose I did wonder if it would help knowing what type as to then knowing what to expect but as everyone is different anyway, again probably no point. Bemused1 you were not alone in what you said!!!

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Attendance Allowance is needs based, not diagnosis based. Reports from consultants help of course but you can always enclose the one from the psychiatrist. Carers Allowance can be got on the back of Attendance Allowance, depending on a few other prerequisites. The council tax exemption needs to be signed by the GP. It would depend on whether he agrees with the psychiatrist I guess.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you but Mum already has AA. I've finally got Carers Allowance sorted after waiting nearly six months as my sister was still claiming it even though Mum had been living with me all that time!!! Waiting for Council Tax forms now as I've been told Mum wont have to pay it once they have letter from GP which wont be a problem. They also said as Mums carer I wont have to pay either so every little helps as they say.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I'm so used to everybody expressing the opposite view, I was really surprised anyone agreed tmb. We have AA as well and in this area care is already in crisis so I am happy to support my husband's decision.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know what you are saying, bemused, and I usually do say, go and get a diagnosis, but every case is individual, and with what tmb's Mum has gone through already, plus there being some kind of professional diagnosis by the psychiatrist, I don't see the need in putting her through more upheaval.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968