is there a solution

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
Just got back from hospital with mum, as she yet again removed plaster cast from her arm during the night.

This is now cast number 5 in 12 days.

She was prescribed Haloperidol on Monday, but even that isn't stopping her, so spoke to the Colsultant this morning and we have increased the dose.

Have left messages with CPN and Alzheimers society, but no solution so far..

Basically mum hasn't got a clue as to why she needs it, it gets in her way, but the beauty is that when its off she shows me her arm and says

"look its swollen, do I need to see a doctor"?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Candy, what can I say? She is really incredibly determined! Can I ask - are they using plaster, or fibreglass for the casts? The former are more crumbly, the latter much harder and with a slight sheen, for want of a better word. When I last had one of the latter on, after the swelling had gone down, I found that one edge was slightly to low an dwas cutting into me, and I had to use a file to trim it down and it took me ages. If they're already using the latter: well I'm back to admiration for her tenacity, and sympathy for you.

Jennifer

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Well

this would be very extreme and I guess some might think it would border on abusive treatment but is it possible to actually "disable" the other hand which is presumably the one doing the picking? Maybe if that hand was bandaged or put into a mitten or something then she wouldnt be able to use it to unpick the cast??

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Rats. Is this the first time they've come across this problem? One almost would think that she needs the other hand immobilised as well: that way she couldn't pick at it. Or something like a long sleeved top with the wrists sewn closed (like you have for babies) although I'm sure a woman who can remove a hardened cast, would have no problems removing that.

Jennifer
Cross posted with Natshalou: two minds with a single thought!

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
I have suggested putting a plaster cast on both arms, or putting the cast over her elbow, but they are worried that it would "restrict her"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
candymostdandy@ said:
I have suggested putting a plaster cast on both arms, or putting the cast over her elbow, but they are worried that it would "restrict her"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I would have thought that was the point!. Thinking about it though, I suspect that if she couldn't use her other hand she might use her teeth!

Umm can she still read? What about writing: "You've broken your arm, this MUST stay on" on it?

Last edited:

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
This sounds like my mum when she was on a drip for rehydration - arm, foot, shoulder you name it the Doctor tried it. We covered it up with socks, cardigan etc but wherever it was sited she would pull it out. We wrote notices, and asked her not to pull it out. " Of course I'm not going to pull it out, do you think I am stupid" she would say, but give it 5 mins. and it was out.

I don't know what the answer is.

Take Care
Carolann

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyK