Is there a quicker way to start treatment?

elizabeth06

Apr 24, 2022
Looking for some advice! My mum, aged 62, has seen pysycologists and a neurologist who referred her for a brain scan and a neuropsychology assessment. These results were all supportive of an Alzheimers diagnosis and she has now been referred to the memory clinic. Only problem is, there is a 6 month wait for this. Has anyone had any experience of being able to get treatment started privately whilst transferring across to the NHS? We are at our wits end as have been told medication will help with some of the symptoms, but 6 months is a long time to wait.

Any advice on where to seek support would be greatly appreciated. We have been told my mum is still in the early onset stage but should start treatment asap. I am concerned things could get worse in the next 6 months and we will have missed out on some benefits of starting medication as early as possible.

I'm 26, so keen to also hear from other young people in a similar situation!

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
S far as I am aware only the consultant at the memory clinic can prescribe the medication I am on for alzheimers. It is not a treatment as sadly there is none. It may merely delay the progression of the inevitable.

How you could circumvent this I have no idea. No doubt others will be along to support you.

elizabeth06

Apr 24, 2022
S far as I am aware only the consultant at the memory clinic can prescribe the medication I am on for alzheimers. It is not a treatment as sadly there is none. It may merely delay the progression of the inevitable.

How you could circumvent this I have no idea. No doubt others will be along to support you.
Thanks for your quick reply. Treatment was perhaps the wrong word, we are just hoping to have access to medication soon which we have been told will help with symptoms. Good to know it is only the consultants at the memory clinic who can prescribe. Thank you!

Pacucho

I have to say I am very surprised your mum is being asked to wait 6 months. I would consider raising this issue with them, and perhaps raising this with your MP if they do not budge.

In this day and age I am afraid you have to be persistent.

Vincebeer

May 13, 2022
Insistence & Direct action for treatment is a must .
My wife had the signs & my son took her to a private consultant ,who started the treatment .
Good luck

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Guidance says that the first prescription should be made by 'a clinician who has the necessary knowledge and skills' which usually means a relevant consultant, not necessarily from the memory clinic.

You could ask the GP for a private referral.

Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitors should only be initiated on the advice of a clinician who has the necessary knowledge and skills.

Once a decision has been made to start an AChE the first prescription may be made in primary care and treatment may be continued in primary care under a shared-care arrangement.

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/dementia/prescribing-information/acetylcholinesterase-inhibitors/ .

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Hi
Do a search on "Private Memory Clinic near me" and you should get a few options.

I used a healthcare service, it was June 2020 and everything was up side down but the person I spoke to on the phone went out of their way contacting every consultant in the country and found one at a Clinic who was prepared do a Skype consultation with us - we have since seen them in person a couple of times even though it has meant driving to Bath from Weymouth.

At the time Dad had a MRI scan done by the Hospital because of a fall - I coordinated between the GP and the consutlant at the Clinic and it was the private consultant that prescribed Donepezil. Dad benefitted from the drugs for about 18 months.

I'm sure now its 2022 more normal services have been resumed you will be able to find what you need closer to home and get scans done if you need them.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976