Is there a medical "fix" for this faecal incontinence problem plse?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hi All

Forgive me for raising what's an unpleasant problem and describing it fairly graphically. We're finding it hard to deal with.

I've consulted Mum's GP with my request for help but it will be a while before she can get back to me. Maybe there are other TPers who understand the problem and can even point towards how it could be solved?

Over the last 6 - 12 months or so, Mum's normal pattern of bowel movement is nothing for 3 - 4 days, then a really messy day. Mum's faeces are liquid and drip slowly from her. It's difficult to get someone clean and to change their pad in that situation, especially as we're working in a small loo never designed for accommodating 2 people at once. Mum's clothing, shoes and the loo area get splattered as one tries to do so - so far I haven't been splattered too but that no doubt will happen one day.

Mum's in the late stages of AD / Vas D (stage 6b perhaps) ... still mobile, usually can't understand instructions and inclined to pull up her pants / adjust her clothing at the most inconvenient times.

Mum had earlier problems with constipation but the problem seems to be now very loose stools. As you'd expect, UTI's aren't uncommon. She hasn't had any serious skin problems yet. Her fluid and food intake is very spasmodic - she usually won't drink much (occasionally she does) but tends to eat well for 24 hours, then not eat much over the next 24 hours.

Are liquid faeces typical of this stage of dementia please? Is there anything that can be done medically to "fix" the problem please?

Yours in hope ....

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What you describe sounds like overflow constipation. OH had it too. We got on top of it with Fybogel twice a day, on repeat prescription from the doctor. It makes the stool regular again. At the moment what seems to happen is that your mum is constipated to an extent that there is overflow making its way past the hard stool in liquid form.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree with Beate - it sounds like overflow due to severe constipation. Not drinking enough makes mum constipated.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Is there a medical "fix" for this faecal incontinence problem plse?

I used lactulose and, as a last resort, senna. Make sure mum eats and drinks regularly. OH has always been a bit inclined this way, but now, like the others, gets constipation with overflow. Once it's cleared, he's OK for several months.

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
If the constipation hasn't been "in evidence" for months, is the looseness still likely to be an overflow problem please?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Have I misunderstood you?

From your post I thought that you meant that for the past 6 months she did not pass any bowel movements for 3-4 days and then would pass liquid stools. Does she she have normal bowel movements between the bouts of liquid stools?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I thought that you meant that for the past 6 months she did not pass any bowel movements for 3-4 days and then would pass liquid stools.

That's exactly what I meant. As far as I know, Mum doesn't have any normal bowel movements.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That's exactly what I meant. As far as I know, Mum doesn't have any normal bowel movements.

Then I think that she has almost certainly got very bad constipation with impacted stools. If laxatives dont work it would probably be a good idea to speak to her GP.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands

My Mum didn't either, 'normal' was running down her legs just like you describe. I wouldn't have dared give her a laxative

Gp was little help, she said to try an pinpoint problem foods- onions would take about an hour, mouth to carpet.

Soul destroying, isn't it?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I'd like to thank everyone for their replies and sympathy.

I shall wait to hear what the GP says but I'm feeling despondent about the chances of there being any real solution that would help us :(.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Well it's not a problem that will sort itself out with a quick fix. In OH's case he's on a repeat prescription for the Fybogel sachets now and it's not curing the incontinence but it's preventing the constipation. It works by adding fibre to the diet and because the powder has to be dissolved in water, it also keeps him hydrated. It looks like fruit juice and doesn't taste bad.