is there a final "flip"

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, she certainly still had that until that last hospital.

She was living in a fantasy world and I still wanted to explore it with her.

cris said:
Lila, she still had a sence of humour :)
cris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes your right cris
Maggie, if you could look in the book at the title page, there is an ISBN number

Never saw that post , when I posted

I just phone tso.co.uk , gave them that number (its ISBN 0 - 923521-74-7 they told me they do have the book , but its not for sell to the public so they gave me another number for the stationery at the NHS and the woman tried to look for on the net as she said it may able to download , but could not find it , so she gave me an email to email ask them if they can find it for me . I don’t mind doing this, give me something different to do , and if anyone can find it before me just let us all know please

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The Expert Patients course doesn't appear to run in Scotland.

However, I've just started a similar course on Stress Management at PRT. It's an OU prepare to learn course, and sounds very similar, though we haven't been given a book yet.

It's free, presumably paid for by PRT, and like Maggie's there are carers of dementia , MS, and blindness sufferers. More info when I get it.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I still wanted to explore it with her.

I try that also with my mother. I say to her what you thinking and she says you want to know my thoughts, before I could get her to talk but as she drop a bit into the AZ I get a feeling now that her is mind is going blank, if I prompt her she talk she remember, but I have to be careful as I don’t want to bring up sad feeling as all she say is “is ant it all sad”, and she seem to relies that the past is in the past and its not happening now. I find she seem not to be in the past in thinking nor in the future just in her hear now. Just in this moment if you get my point.

This is the stage my mother is at now and I know every one different , so it does not seem my mother is in a fantasy world .

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Skye

I did not want to sound like a miss know it all, so was not going to say this, but you know me have to say it at the end :)

The lady from the royal princess trust. Printed me out the hole caurse that your be following from a book that the NHS put together on
Stress Management

Its a really good read and your lucky that your going on it , they did not have one runing in my area , that why she printed it out for me .

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What I found amazing with the course I went on is how the NHS is changing , in teaching

Guided imagery using guided imagery you can divert your mind from your symptoms, surrounding and take yourself to another time and place where you feel deeply relaxed in your mind

I use to use that on my own years ago, so to see it been teach in the NHS was quite a surprise to me.

Also technique the relaxation response developed by Dr Herbert Benson bit like meditation choosing a word object or pleasant feeling to think about, For example , repeat a word or sound the word “one” , look at an object like a flower or concentrate on a feeling , such as peace .

Adopt a passive attitude. Empty all thoughts and distractions from your mind .You may become aware of thoughts, images and feeling, but don’t concentrate on them. just allow them to pass by .

This is all hard to learn, took me a few years to get the hang of it , and hear they are teaching it on the NHS to us care’s wonderful I thought when I was on the course .

The only thing I found over the years is that when I got bog down with stressful situation I forget t how I use to do that, but going on the course brought it all back, then I moved and got all stress again, but am getting there

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I agree, Maggie. I think you have to repeat the course at regular intervals, otherwis the techniques lose their effect. I've done courses before, and thought this one would be more of the same, but so far it seems completely different. Let's hope it works.

Love,

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Violence & lashing out

Hi Cris,
My mother's illness has been marked by quite a lot of aggession & violence, to the point that the nursing home she is in had her hospitalized. But I've posted about that elsewhere.

It's very hard to get in the right mind frame but it really isn't personal. In my opinion it must be so much harder for spouses. I think we'll all of an age here that getting a slap from one's parent was part of growing up, so it isn't as much of a shock as getting struck by one's spouse.

It's not easy for anyone, but I don't like the way that staff can sometimes handle a difficult resident. My mother can be one of the most difficult so she ends up in her chair in the country kitchen, where they can see her but there's not much interaction. I'm getting hard-line about this, I used to worry a lot more about the staff but my mother's in her wheelchair, they can simply dodge & duck.

It does come down to personalities, some of the staff are great with her & others shouldn't be allowed to walk dogs, let alone deal with demented persons.

After all this ramble, Cris, it's just hang in there.

Joanne

Noone

Mar 12, 2007
Surrey
Hi, I have experienced my charge losing her temper, and be-littling me, calling me a stupid baby and the like, over various different things that upset her for whatever reason. At first I found it hard to take and felt a bit wobbly, but after a good chat with my Dad, he explained I need to take charge, role reversal thing, and since then, I have stood my ground and been firm with her. I have also tried to explain how some things make me feel, and she usually apologises.

But Im guessing its the alzheimers and its not really a personal attack, that its down to their frustration.

Its bizarre though, because Im a laid back individual and calm, I dont usually evoke these sort of reactions from anyone...it was a heck of a shock when it first happened...

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I went to pick up my certificate for the course I done , not knowing that the mayoress and some other politician and someone from the PCT, then I notice how extra nice everyone was dress , Ok there I was in my jeans baggy top and my Jesus sandals, so I went up to get my certificate as the mayoress was giving them out , so took it from her shaking her hand and being told congratulation for graduating, all I felt when they said that was are they humouring us or what .

We were also told how the government is putting 8 million for carer support that the PCT wants to work more closely with carer
They ask us if we had any comment about the course , yes I put my hand up and told them that where do I get the book as it was very helpful to other people on the AZ forum I go to and can not get on the course , they said that they have to go on the course , that’s the message they want to put out to other carer and I got this email today .

Dear Ms xxxx

Thank you for your email of 12 March to the Department of Health about the document Self-Management of Long-Term Health Conditions – A Handbook for People with Chronic Disease.

Although the book is stocked by The Stationery Office on behalf of the Department of Health, is is designed for use with the Expert Patients Programme (www.expertpatients.nhs.uk), an NHS-based training programme that provides opportunities to people who live with long-term chronic conditions to develop new skills to manage their condition better on a day-to-day basis. For further details you should contact your local Expert Patients officer, and I have provided a link to regional contact details for the Programme below:

http://www.expertpatients.nhs.uk/public/default.aspx?load=ArticleViewer&ArticleId=475

I hope this information has been of help.

Yours sincerely,

Alistair Davie
Department of Health

From going to this course, I am going on to another one called the developing skill for managing low Mood and depression Expert patient course. I have come of my depression tablets as they are just not working well for me, and then every mouth , we have a group called Expert patient graduation group that cover loads of self management idea

Last edited:

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Well done Maggie for completing the course and collecting your certificate.
You know what politicians are like, they are all very good at talking the talk for publicity , and then a few weeks away everything is forgotten.
Very well done
cris:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Maggie, Congratulations on completing your course. Never mind the V.I.P.s, the ciurse was beneficial to you and that`s the most important thing.
With love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Margarita said:
From going to this course, I am going on to another one called the developing skill for managing low Mood and depression Expert patient course. I have come of my depression tablets as they are just not working well for me, and then every mouth , we have a group called Expert patient graduation group that cover loads of self management idea

Hi Maggie

Congratulations on your graduation! It sounds as of the course was very successful, and the new one sounds interesting. Good luck,

Love,

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Been off site for a while (bad hair month!) but just thought I would add my 2p worth..

I have been through a stage with Monique threatening me with violence - silly really as she is pretty small and petite and I am quite heavily built.... I turned on her and told her never ever to do that again - I was really angry. It also scared me slightly. Kitchen knives in the dark sprang to mind - but I do have a fertile imagination...

That was a long time ago and there was no repeat.

Now Monique thinks I am trying to kill her and am keeping her imprisoned for my own amusement... She is of course correct about the imprisoned bit... I have to keep the front door locked or she will wander off into town and get lost... she can just get lost in the house.. sometimes I find her curled up some place... lost.. alone...scared... She whispers to carers and friends that I am trying to poison her and pursuant to that she spits out the medications behind my back having kept them under her tongue whilst swallowing the water or pretends to take them and actually does not put them in her mouth... All the very real things we would all do if we were imprisoned and thought we were being drugged or poisoned by our warder... Given time I guess it will pass... Like Colditz nothing lasts for ever..

This is anecdotal but I have had several experiences where stopping being really nice and caring has had a 'good' effect. I was having some quite serious business problems in the UK and needed to spend time on the telephone sorting them.. Monique was 'sundowning' in a major way - demanding attention - going home, escaping now, parents arriving when? etc etc. I turned round and said that I had some very serious problems in London, she was to sit down and behave for a while whilst I sorted them out and stop demanding attention!!! Result I was able to spend a considerable time on the telephone - make several calls and speak to numerous people - write some emails and at the end of it Monique enquired how my problems were? Was I able to sort it out?

Unlike most of you I think many of our people with AD exploit us and use us just as children do.. They use us, push the limits and manipulate us.. They are not necessarily nice people or 'sick' angels all the time but can be angry with us, selfish and thoroughly unpleasant. I sometimes think all our being 'nice' and running around after them makes them 'forget' even more whatever social behaviour - manners they once may of had..

That is not to say I think Monique is a tragic, sad, scared, lonely and afraid human being.. Of course she is. It must be terrible to be locked into that muddled head but that is not to say she is not capable of the behaviour I just mentioned. She is a living breathing human being with a **** memory willing to be angry or manipulative in order to get what she perceives to be important to her.. The angry is absolutely directed at me - partly perhaps because she knows she cannot survive without me - so she will use anything to make me stay close and fulfil her every wish....

Whilst I am on a rant.....

I would never have got through the last few years without Talking Point and all the wonderful help and experienced advice I have received from a load of nice people with similar problems... However... Recently I have been using pm's to 3 people and found that very helpful and therapeutic... I think it is not right to suggest that PM's are somehow diminishing the value of the site to all.

I have been privately discussing how to break french law or at least manipulate in relation to AD situations. It is of minority interest, illegal and it would be stupid to post such messages on an open forum... I have also been experiencing a few personal problems with AD which I actually needed to just write/talk about... Wild horses would not drag me to post on a public forum.. Just having a couple of people to write/talk to privately has been of great help --

end of rant!

love to you all --

Michael

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Michael E said:
I think it is not right to suggest that PM's are somehow diminishing the value of the site to all.
I don't think anyone has ever suggested this, and most people believe PMs to be very useful.

There have, however, been instances where members have felt pressured by other members using PMs, and after they have unfortunately given their full contact details in a PM to the person.

It is only where PMs are used to pressure other members that they prove to be more a liability than a help.

I still say that posting in public is the most useful way to communicate to most people, because a wider range of experience and knowledge is brought in.

Not of course, when a bank raid is being planned, or something like that...;)

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Oops sorry Bruce... did not understand the motivation - been not here for a while. Could cut you in for a euro or two if you can handle some hot wheels!!!

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Thanks for that post Michael. From the heart I can see, and I entirely agree with about the manipulation, which I supose we all do whether we realise it or not. It is so heart breaking when one moment our loved one is violent, abussive or awkward and then a little later they are apologetic, sorry they are that way, and cannot control themselves. As you say they are very afraid and I cannot imagine how their mind is working or how it is for them, only a nightmare.
cris