Is there a definition for middle stages of dementia?

Miss A

Oct 26, 2012
The South West
Hi all,

I've seen the phrase 'middle stages of dementia' used in quite a few posts in TP. My question is, have you loved ones been diagnosed as being in the middle stages? How do you know what the middle is? I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm still learning!

Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I think there is a fact sheet about stages of dementia. i have never read it as I just take it as it comes. I refer to mum as having advanced dementia, but for all I know nearly 10 years after diagnosis mum may be only in the middle of her dementia journey. I would guess that middle stage is where you start to be unable to do things for yourself, but that is only a guess.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Miss A, When my mum was in hospital in December 2009, I seem to remember the doctors referring to 'established dementia' and I have always thought of this as being in the middle stages. My mum has had dementia for nearly ten years and has been in a care home for 3 yrs and 8 months.

turbo

wheelieb

Sep 6, 2013
Newport, South Wales
Hi all,

I've seen the phrase 'middle stages of dementia' used in quite a few posts in TP. My question is, have you loved ones been diagnosed as being in the middle stages? How do you know what the middle is? I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm still learning!

Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Hi Miss A,

There is no such thing as a silly question in this forum, we all need answers to things from time to time! There is a fact sheet with the 7 stages on the Alzheimer's website. However, you will find that you cannot put a sufferer into a particular stage as they may have the symptoms of a few of the stages. I think the factsheet states this as well. Hope this helps :)

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Miss A!

This is a question I've thought about a lot! Compared to some people I hear about on here my mum seems to be in the early stages but then again when I spend time with her and see her reaction to things I'm quite sure she is now mid-stage. I'm no expert but from what I read on here everyone seems to have such differing and overlapping symptoms it's so had to classify it.

There are people with dementia on this site who amaze me with how they deal with it and are able to cope. My mum has no insight and doesn't seem to want insight.

I guess how people deal with it has a huge effect too?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I reckon Mum's middle to late stage now but the pattern of abilities and disabilities isn't what I thought it would be. Mum has no short-term memory of people, places and events, she's not always sure who she is and she forgets she needs the loo. She's still able to read words, she's still got a better than average vocabulary. Her problem-solving's better than I'd have hoped. Sometimes she's very motherly, even though much of the "real" Mum's been destroyed.

It's an awful disease but a mysterious one too.