1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Is their anybody on here who is around 20?

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by LauraKx, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Tinkerbell123

Tinkerbell123 Registered User

Mar 30, 2014
    Im 20!

Hi Laura,

Im sorry to hear about your mum.

My boyfriend's mum has dementia, she was diagnosed last year.

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years so i have seen the changes.

My mother in law was taken into a home last week - very sad and hard for us all.

If you need a chat please message me :).

2. Oreo

Oreo Registered User

Aug 1, 2014
    Hello, I'm only 14, and I'm currently a full time young carer (of course with mum too) of my grandma, who is in the later stages of dementia. I was hoping there would be some other younger carers too :).

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hello Oreo and welcome to TP.

I know that other young carers have posted on the forum and I hope someone nearer your age will be along soon.

I know it must be hard for you and your mum and I hope you find this forum useful. I wondered if you had seen this website which us designed for young carers -

http://www.youngcarers.net

You might find it helpful too.

4. 16Kate

16Kate Registered User

Dec 3, 2013
    North wales
    Hey! I'm 16 but my dad was diagnosed when I was 14 too, message me whenever!x

5. amh53

amh53 Registered User

Aug 30, 2014
    Hi everyone,
    I'm 22 and my mum was diagnosed with Fronto-temporal dementia in March last year not long after her 50th birthday. She's at the stage now when she's struggling to get out of her chair and say more than 5 words at a time but she still loves walking to the shops and eating her chocolate eclairs :)
    I just thought it would be good to join up here and speak to people in similar situations - it gets so easy to become isolated because it feels like no one understands.

Best wishes to everyone xxx

6. Katy B

Katy B Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    Hi Laura, my husband was diagnosed last year with Alzheimers at the age of 49 too.
    i have two children aged now 17 & 12 years. im not sure how they would feel but i will certainly ask. its the first time ive responded to anyone so apologies if it takes me a while to find you again!:)

7. nmintueo

nmintueo Registered User

Jun 28, 2011
    UK
  8. Bluebell16

Bluebell16 Registered User

Jan 2, 2014
    My husband is 59 and we have three children ages 20, 18 and 16. He was diagnosed in 2012 but probably had it since 2009. I am his main carer but if you are still looking for a 20 yr old my son might join the forum? Whatever you do, keep posting on here or join the FTD Forum which is online too. It is for people and relatives suffering with Picks disease of all variants of which semantic is the rarest. It has been the best place to find others with this because semantic is so different and rare.

Look after yourself too. Your Mum would hate this for you and This Mum isn't able to " care" which hurts so much. I am able to replace my husband's support of my children in a way because I know what he would want for them but it's harder for me, like you, when there isn't anyone for ME! Fight for as much support as possible to give you the time and life you deserve and meantime I bet your mum would be so proud of you and grateful.

Feel free to message me back.

9. AlexEJ

AlexEJ Registered User

Nov 1, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to all of this. I'm 28 and my mum was diagnosed 3 years ago with Alzheimer's at the age of 64. We think she has been suffering for years before, it just took ages to diagnose.

I live in London with my young family over 2.5hrs from my mum and dad which I find hard. I feel I should be there for her more, but I have my family who need me and I work. Does anyone else feel guilty about not being able to be around as much?

My dad is amazing, but recently hard a heart op. I'm really struggling at the minute as I feel at the age of 28 I'm not ready to lose my mum.

Would be great to chat to others similar to me who feel the same so I know I'm not alone.

Xx

10. cpage

cpage Registered User

Nov 24, 2014

Hi Alex,
    I'm new to this too. I am 29 and my mum was diagnosed frontotemporal dementia almost 3 years ago at the age of 65. Our stories are very similar! I really understand how alone it can make you feel even with family and friends to talk to. As it's sometimes hard to express how you feel and sometimes I'm not sure what I should say when friends ask how she is. She will not be getting better so it's hard to know what to say in response especially if you haven't seen them for a while or it is a happy social occasion that you don't want to bring down.

I live a few hours away from my mum and dad too and often feel guilty about not being there as much as if I lived in same city. But as my friend said once even if you were there everyday, you would probably feel like it wasn't enough.

If you want to message me please do as it would be great to talk about these sort of things with someone who understands a similar situation.
    :)

11. noam

noam Registered User

Dec 7, 2014
    20 here

I realize this thread has existed for several years, but I'm 20, and my mom was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's this past year at age 56. We are not alone!

12. KeddyL

KeddyL Registered User

Jun 8, 2014

I still check this thread every day to see how people are doing. I am so sorry to hear your news. I am 22 now and my mum has just turned 53. Please message me if you ever need to have a talk. Thinking of you all xxxx

13. Rose2

Rose2 Registered User

Nov 16, 2014
    Hi I am new here and I am twenty-seven. I was born to older parents, and my father is three years shy of turning eighty. He has been diagnosed with the beginning stages of alzhimers, and he recently forgot mother is a diabetic of three years, my heart goes out to everyone here.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

14. Lifesux

Lifesux Registered User

Feb 13, 2015
    I'm 25 and my father has Alz and he is 76. I believed he first started showing signs at 58 so its been 18 years. I might have the biggest age differential here. I'm also an only child so its been really difficult. I'm extremely worried about me getting the disease but more for my mother who is 66.

15. EmmaThrace

EmmaThrace Account Closed

Apr 17, 2013
    London
    #95 EmmaThrace, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
    Hi there,

I am 23 and was 22 when my father passed away at the age of 49 from Pick's Disease.
    Sometimes it can seem a very lonely place, like no one understands what you're going through.

My heart goes out to you and your family

16. shoshok

shoshok Registered User

Apr 27, 2015
    I'm 26 and my dad was diagnosed three years ago. He's 59 now

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point