Is their anybody on here who is around 20?

carlyanna

Jun 22, 2012
Southampton
Parents with dementia

Hey

Im 27 and my sister is 24. Our dad is 52 and has Alzheimers too. He was diagnosed on New Years Eve 2011. Although we noticed problems and symptons over a year ago now.

We have had a lot of problems with dad as he suffers with severe depression as well, and whilst i was on holiday Aug 16th this year, he tried jumping off the local bridge in southampton. Was then arrested under the mental health act, and currently resides in a mental institute, where they have NO IDEA how to treat him with this illness etc.

I struggle a lot, im the one who gets the phone calls, the one in charge of his care and and working full time with a stressful job on top is quite hard sometimes.

How are you coping Laura? Do you have a good support system? I wouldnt be able to cope with out my family, they are amazing !

x

Rthomson

Nov 3, 2012
Hi Laura, I am 27 but I was 19 when my mum was diagnosed. I am new to this forum and don't know why I didn't join sooner. At the age of 19 you do not expect your parent to have Alzheimer's! How are you doing just now?

Fozzy

Jan 4, 2013
Great yarmouth
Hellooo, I'm Laura and I am 19, Mum was diagnosed with alzhiemers last year at 49, I have had some lovely support over the last few months on joining it has been overwhelming. Every one has been a lot older than me & I was wondering if their is anyone out their a similar age to me to talk to as well? thank you xxx

Hi Laura I'm 29 and sometimes feel very alone because no one really understands unless u r in this situation.my mum was diagnosed last jan at the age of 55.also my dad died this year so it has been a very tough year.if you ever want a chat I'm also up for letting off some steam.

Fozzy

Jan 4, 2013
Great yarmouth
I don't disagree with you Bodensee but there are many other reasons for early onset dementia. In my family it is Familial Alzheimer's Disease which is very rare but is nearly always early onset. There is also some fantastic research going on in this particular area, which I am part of - I believe that the research that I am taking part in and the Prion research that you speak of both take place at UCL and we are very lucky to have very clever people who are dedicated to moving forward with improving diagnosis, treatment and maybe one day finding a cure for the various forms of dementia. We are also lucky that there is funding available for research in these areas.

Watching the news this morning, the varying timescales involved in diagnosing dementia at any age was raised publicly. In my experience, in early onset it is an even greater issue. In my opinion, this is something that desperately needs to be tackled - but how?! I hope to be able to make a difference in the area that I live.

Anyway, I'm moving away from the main reason for this thread - young people seeking others of a similar age who have an understanding of what they are going through. I'm no longer in that age range (at 36 now!) but I was 28 when my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I still feel that I am too young for all of this, there are others that are/were in their teens when they had to cope with the daignosis of a parent. It is a very lonely place to be, a time when fitting in with everyone else is important...and how on earth do you fit in when the stuff that you want to (need to!) talk about is something that your friends might not experience for another four or five decades.

Yet again, we are lucky that such a place as Talking Point exists so that in the times that we visit here, we know that we are not alone. We can talk of our personal experiences or just read of others and know that the thoughts and fears (let's not forget the guilt!) that floors us at times is not unique, abnormal or strange. We are all at various stages on the same journey...and it is amazing to find others on here to walk with us.

Hi I see that you are local to me,ever fancy a chat that would be good

minnie2020

Nov 28, 2012
wigan
Hi im mew to this site im 25 and my dad has been diagnosed with dementia hes 53. I thought he was the.only one being quite young but seems im mistaken its so scary isnt it but knowing im npt alone in this brings me some comfort hope ur k xx

evie

Dec 11, 2009
glasgow
Hello laura

My husband has dementia and my daughter is still at home and has just turned 17. She does sometimes find it difficult to deal with the situation at home and I know she would like someone to talk to that understands what she is going through. I hadn't suggested to her to go to his site because i didn't think it would be something she could use so thankyou for your post.

Fozzy

Jan 4, 2013
Great yarmouth
Hi im mew to this site im 25 and my dad has been diagnosed with dementia hes 53. I thought he was the.only one being quite young but seems im mistaken its so scary isnt it but knowing im npt alone in this brings me some comfort hope ur k xx

Hi if u ever want to chat privately I know this would help me so much.

Fozzy

Jan 4, 2013
Great yarmouth
My husband has dementia and my daughter is still at home and has just turned 17. She does sometimes find it difficult to deal with the situation at home and I know she would like someone to talk to that understands what she is going through. I hadn't suggested to her to go to his site because i didn't think it would be something she could use so thankyou for your post.

Hi if u every want to chat I know this would do me good

Rox3

Nov 6, 2012
Wow! I cant believe how many people have been intouch. Thank you so much. To everybody that has posted on this thread, & the same goes to everybody, please please message me to if anybody wants somebody to talk to. I definitely agree that you do need some time just to have a little cry. I will be glad when I am able to control my emotions, If I hear any body talk about Alzheimers, if somebody comes on the TV with the disease or anything to do with it I just cry and sulk and sit feeling sorry for myself Lol.

Thank again, My thoughts and Love are with you all xxxx

Hi Laura,

I'm 25 and my mum was diagnosed 3 years ago! It's been a tough time and as much as I love my friends none of them really understand but are always there for me. After reading about you trying to deal with your emotions it's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering with this. I too get extremely upset quite easily and I'd say I've cried more in these last few years than I've done in the last 20 years. If your still looking for young people to talk to I'd be happy to talk with you anytime.

Rachel xx

16Kate

Dec 3, 2013
North wales
Hey everyone, I'm 16 and my dad was diagnosed in the last 1-2 years so I don't have much experience but he has gotten worse very quickly, I'm younger than you but still it's something?

hopefulasever

Nov 24, 2010
Hey everyone, I'm 16 and my dad was diagnosed in the last 1-2 years so I don't have much experience but he has gotten worse very quickly, I'm younger than you but still it's something?

Hi Kate, my mum started showing signs when I was 16 - I'm 22 now but if you ever want a chat, let me know. It's hard to deal with at such a young age x

hathewitt

Dec 12, 2013
Hi Laura I am 24 and my mum just got diagnosed with early onset dimentia. She is 57. She has a kind called PCA. How are u finding things? Do you have siblings or a dad who lives at home?

cyclesmile

Feb 6, 2014

Hey Kate,
My dad started started to show signs of Alzheimer's when I was 16 in 2011, but he has only recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's this year. I am now 19 and I started University in September 2013 and I live far away from home. I am currently finding my dad's diagnosis quite difficult to deal with, I can't believe my own dad has been diagnosed with such a cruel disease. I would really appreciate a chat with someone of a similar age who will understand what I am going through.

April06

Apr 15, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hi everyone,

My mum got diagnosed with semantic dementia when I was 19.
I'm now 23 and her main carer which is starting to get quite emotionally
draining now she is in the more advanced stages as I really miss 'having' a mum.
It would also be nice to talk to people around a similar age :)

charl89

Apr 26, 2014
mum.

hi. i have just joined, im 24
my mum was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago aged 51. as with you all it was the biggest shock of our lives and we did not expect her symptoms to be early onset, we hadnt even known younger people could have Alzheimers! at first the doctors blamed menopause but after insisting a very good dr referred her after she had concerns.
mums now in a dementia care home and its getting harder every day as i can imagine you all feel too.
hope you all are doing ok.
stay strong
xx

argon1

Nov 29, 2013
Hellooo, I'm Laura and I am 19, Mum was diagnosed with alzhiemers last year at 49, I have had some lovely support over the last few months on joining it has been overwhelming. Every one has been a lot older than me & I was wondering if their is anyone out their a similar age to me to talk to as well? thank you xxx

Hi Laura,

I am 25. My Dad is 57 and has dementia. You can send me a message if you'd like the chat, but it looks like you got tonnes of responses!

Either way,

KeddyL

Jun 8, 2014
Hello everybody!!

Hello everyone.. Its Laura. Ive recently had to change my account so my LauraKx wont be used no more. I just want to say thank you so much for everybody's responses. I love seeing that people can relate to other people and are getting to no each other on this thread, this is what its all about. I am totally overwhelmed and now I'm up and running again i am going to sit and read each post so expect a message from me in the up coming days. Thank you all again, look forward to talking to you all! Xxx

cmcc92

May 28, 2014
Hi Laura,
I'm 21 and my dad was diagnosed 2 weeks ago aged 56. Glad to know I'm not alone! I'm here if you want to chat :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

16Kate

Dec 3, 2013
North wales
Hey! I'm sixteen and my dad was diagnosed with early onset 3 years ago, I am the youngest of 5 kids( the eldest being 30). My dad is now 53, after 3 years of learning how to deal with this new way of living my nana who is almost 77 had to move in as she too was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Would be nice to talk to someone around my age, who understands a as I'm sure many of you have had to deal with friends who just don't get it.

Sarah31

Jun 11, 2014
I'm 31 with two young children, I'm trying to do the best for my dad and i keep reading on here that their still the same person but in a way my dad is not. It's scary and sad to know my children will never know the wonderful person he is/was.my eldest who's three is refusing to come when I visit. None if my friends understand and I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point