Is nanny’s life coming to an end?

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by AKiki13, Jun 10, 2018.

1. AKiki13

AKiki13 New member

Jun 4, 2018
    Thank
    Thank you for your message. We are trying our best but we don’t ever know if it’s for the best or not, we can only go on what we have seen at the home and it was awful. We have moved Nan this afternoon in to the new home and everything is just so different. It is clean, lovely, nice and peaceful and even if she ends up bed bound, the view is fantastic from the bed. All we can do is let her spend her last years somewhere lovely, that’s what she deserves.

2. Jezzer

Jezzer Registered User

Jun 12, 2016
    Female
    Hi @AKiki13 Mum has mixed dementia - Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's. She was admitted to a care home in 2016 and receives wonderful care. Please ask me anything and I'll do my best to help, as will others here.

3. AKiki13

AKiki13 New member

Jun 4, 2018
    Thank you, that is so kind.
    Your poor mum having mixed, that sounds awful altho thank goodness she is receiving good care.
    Nans social worker was reluctant to move her and it all became really horrible today because she wasn’t sure we were doing the move in the best interests of nanny. We couldn’t believe it. The home she was in was awful, they had not been looking after her properly at all. So basically, instead of being referred to the new home via the social worker, we had to sign a personal contract with the home instead and it makes no difference anyway because nanny has a house to sell so she would be self funding anyway but we were really annoyed with the lack of support by the social worker. We just want nanny to spend her last days, weeks, months or years in somewhere comfortable and where she feels happiest and is receiving the very best of care and that is what she is getting at the new home. The personal budget on nanny’s current plan is stating a large budget that we were not aware of and yet if she is deemed as needing this help, why should she have to pay all of it.

4. Jezzer

Jezzer Registered User

Jun 12, 2016
    Female
    I'm really sorry things became so difficult today with the s/w and that what you hoped to be a smooth move turned out to be anything but. I hope your Nan didn't get stressed. It does feel unfair that self-funders have to pay the full amount. Mum was the same until her funds fell to the level where she became entitled to support but unfortunately there was nothing we could do about it. What a stressful day for you all; this wretched illness is bad enough without all the red tape, I know. Hope your Nan settles well into her new home.