1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Is my live in carer exempt from council tax does anyone know

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by seagull50, Jul 19, 2015.

1. seagull50

seagull50 Registered User

Dec 13, 2014
    North Devon
    hi everyone I pay no council tax as considered exempt. I have a care package which pays for carers help, if my carer lives in, not related are they exempt as well? appreciate any answers x

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Good news: according to https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

3. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    Jenniferpa has given you the link but unfortunately it has to be read in full.

The carer (there are certain conditions) will be an exempt adult however to get a 100% discount all people in the house have to be either SMI or a student.

You will be able to get up to a 50% discount, each LA is different, but as the owner of the property you are liable for the charge.

Sec 8 of this fact sheet covers it....

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS21_Council_Tax_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Excellent catch. :)

Thank you.

5. Raggedrobin

Raggedrobin Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    One thing I found was also a factor was whether or not the carer has to pay council tax elsewhere, for example if they have their own home somewhere. i explained this situation to my mother's council and to my surprise they discounted me from having to pay council tax at her house as I paid it elsewhere. It took some time to establish this was the case but I guess that was a discretionary decision.