• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Is my live in carer exempt from council tax does anyone know

seagull50

Dec 13, 2014
North Devon
hi everyone I pay no council tax as considered exempt. I have a care package which pays for carers help, if my carer lives in, not related are they exempt as well? appreciate any answers x

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
hi everyone I pay no council tax as considered exempt. I have a care package which pays for carers help, if my carer lives in, not related are they exempt as well? appreciate any answers x
Jenniferpa has given you the link but unfortunately it has to be read in full.

The carer (there are certain conditions) will be an exempt adult however to get a 100% discount all people in the house have to be either SMI or a student.

You will be able to get up to a 50% discount, each LA is different, but as the owner of the property you are liable for the charge.

Sec 8 of this fact sheet covers it....

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS21_Council_Tax_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jenniferpa has given you the link but unfortunately it has to be read in full.

The carer (there are certain conditions) will be an exempt adult however to get a 100% discount all people in the house have to be either SMI or a student.

You will be able to get up to a 50% discount, each LA is different, but as the owner of the property you are liable for the charge.

Sec 8 of this fact sheet covers it....

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS21_Council_Tax_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB
Excellent catch. :)

Thank you.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
One thing I found was also a factor was whether or not the carer has to pay council tax elsewhere, for example if they have their own home somewhere. i explained this situation to my mother's council and to my surprise they discounted me from having to pay council tax at her house as I paid it elsewhere. It took some time to establish this was the case but I guess that was a discretionary decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennisballs