Is it ok when.....

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Is ok when my dad with dlb eventhough supervised by my mum..when an insulin pen goes missing?..
Is ok that a 300 unit pen lasts 12 days?...
Is it ok that there was an overdose of donepezil..even once?
Is it ok that most pens are giving him more than possible..whe the msnufacturers say they cant?
Is it ok that we found an insulin pen in his bedside drawer..and needles down in dining room drawer?...
Is it ok that there were more tabs left than should be...?..
i marked an insulin pen as was empty..so is it ok that he did his insulin and then felt shakey .when i know he couldnt have had it?...
Now add not knowing what any day is...sight perceptions..delusions..hallucinations.
Cant read properly sometimes...no short term memory..bloods been up and down and affecting him if only 13...wanders and doesnt realise...

Is it ok then that the diabetic facilitator says he should do his own insulin?...hes an adult..and i am wrong about his empty pen..and as his bloods are going up to 22 then down..all thats happened doesnt matter..hes an adult...

Is it ok????.....___

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
No....it's not and I know that you were being tongue in cheek and angry when you wrote it:rolleyes:

I would remove his access to medication, put them in a locked box and hide the key from him......and then demand outside supervision to take away any agression towards your Mum.

But the DF will no doubt see that as an infringement of his liberties!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
Oh dear... yes i agree with Maureen. MIL is diabetic, meds in locked box which she really objected to but was at the recommendation of the District Nurse who visits daily to supervise the insulin injections. We got the DN to explain why to her and deliver the box (we bought it). Box has a combination lock so DN can access.
When she does take meds and her blood sugar under control, then she's a different person. Her memory is still not good but her behaviours are better. Getting there and keeping her like this can be difficult as she lives on her own and has a very sweet tooth. 4 or 5 mince pies in one say was a regular occurrence over xmas. As we do her shopping, she's devious in obtaining them, would say they were for visitors or others had eaten them.
speak to her doctor and explain the problem and ask (beg?) for help as you cannot deal with this alone as you probably realise. The Doc has a duty of care to the patient. Ours wanted us to arrange own (and pay for) a carer. Social services advised carers cannot help administer insulin so doc had to continue to provide DN visits. We work all our lives, pay tax and cannot get support we need without a fight... don't give in.
good luck

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
put it in writing to the idiotic diabetic facilitator that you are concerned, these things have happened and you don't think he is ok to be responsible for his own insulin. Inform that facilitator that you are copying in the person who prescribes the insulin (as it is actually their responsibility, maybe you could do this the other way around) and note in the letter what the facilitator said to you about your concerns.
Copy in anyone else you think might need to know. Send it recorded delivery if you wish.

Is any of what you wrote in your post ok? I don't think so. You must be livid.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Definitely contact the GP. And talk to Diabetes UK - see if they can advise. Also the Alz Society helpline might give some pointers too.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk

When my dad's diabetes was out of control (due to his lymphoma) they kept him in hospital a week to try to stabilise it. I don't feel your dad is receiving adequate care and there should be no difference between a person with dementia and a person with cancer.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
you can get pens that record the amount and time it was taken. may not help in this case but it helps me keep track. I've been injecting for over forty years and even without dementia you don't always remember as it's so familiar.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti