Is it ok for dad to go away ?

Shellb

Oct 26, 2017
My mum has is 67 and was diagnosed with alzheimers 3 years ago . She is at a stage now where she is still independent but needs someone with her at all times maybe be left for 1 hour or 2 at the most.
Anyway to cut a long story short there is me and my sister we both have young family our youngest are 5 . We both work she works part time during the day I work 20 hours a week evenings.
In june my dad has signed up to go on an outing for 4 nights to benidorm with the men from the local pub . I completely understand that he is entitled to a break he finds it difficult how much my mum has deteriorated. But I'm also really angry that we are expected to look after mum around the clock between us while still being at work (neither of us have holidays left ) looking after our children , doing the school runs etc. It is also the week of my middle child doing her gcses so the added stress isn't what I need.
It's not that we dont want to help but mum is at the stage where dad is her whole world if he nips out she is constantly asking where he is and how long it will be before he is back . My sister has offered for mum to stay with her overnight but when it comes to it we know mum wont stay there she is comfortable in her own environment. It's out of the question us staying there with work and child commitments . Am I being selfish to even think like this ? It would be different if it was over a weekend but it's not it a monday to friday . When first the rest of us life goes on as normal with work school etc . We cant tell him not to go because it will cause an argument . Thoughts please ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to read about your mum @Shellbell1010.

I really don’t think it’s fair to expect you and your sister to provide all the care. Your work and your families have to be your first priorities. Is it not time to have professional carers in to support your dad on a long term basis? This would mean you and your sister could do what is possible and reasonable at other times.

If she hasn’t already had an assessment of needs done then it would be good to persuade your dad that this is necessary now.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife is at a stage where she can't be left alone and our lives changed because of that. The next time I want to take a break I will have to arrange short term respite if any place is available. That's just how it is.

You are not being selfish. In relation to your sisters offer it may help your decision making to think of your mum's needs rather than her wants as that is how things go too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shellb

Oct 26, 2017
You really have no idea how you have made me feel that we are not being selfish . I'm struggling with the feeling of guilt knowing that my dad is entitled to a break . But we too have our own families.
My mum is some what aware of what is going on . She says she doesnt need help or outside care because she is just fine. Although that isn't the case . She has just started to go to memory cafes and enjoys it. My dad is a proud man and struggles to come to terms with mum deteriorating but I feel there is also only so much me and my sister can do to help because he has refused outside help before

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Perhaps @karaokePete ’s Idea of respite would be best at this time. You could tell her that she’s going on a nice holiday of her own while dad is going on his holiday.

I know it’s easy for me to say try not feel guilty but you really are not being selfish!

Shellb

Oct 26, 2017
They are actually sway at the moment I think we are going to have to discuss getti g a 3rd party in albeit carers or some sort of respite . It is stressful enough looking after our own and working without the stress of dad not being around to help with mum . Thankyou

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think a short “hotel” break in a nice respite home would be a good start. She will have company and hopefully some activities. Have a look at local care homes to find the right environment and as suggested ask for a needs assessment for her ASAP. There is quite a different feel to a lot of homes so don’t be put off by the first you see.