Is it normal !!

jonnysmum

Jun 22, 2013
Preston,lancashire
Mum has always liked a cheeky nap in the afternoon but we have noticed that it is becoming a problem. Some days it seems that all she wants to do is go back to bed & we are now having days where she wont even get dressed & is becoming aggressive with us if we try & insist that she gets up.
Is this normal for someone with alzheimers to sleep this much?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Mum has always liked a cheeky nap in the afternoon but we have noticed that it is becoming a problem. Some days it seems that all she wants to do is go back to bed & we are now having days where she wont even get dressed & is becoming aggressive with us if we try & insist that she gets up.
Is this normal for someone with alzheimers to sleep this much?

Anything and everything is normal with this disease. If she wants to sleep just let her, so long as she's eating and drinking in between.

Dunkery

Jul 19, 2013
Devon
My mum is very much the same as yours. She never likes to get up before midday and until a few weeks ago it was even later. When the carer came to get her up she would often shout "I will decide when I get up and will not be told by you! Get out of my bedroom!" However, now she usually gets up without too much problem. It may be worth asking your doctor to check that your mum is not anemic, if you have not done so already.

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Thyroid disease can make people very tired or at least it did me , my family thought I was a sloth. Its dreadful so please get that checked urgently because it is depressive and the longer you have it untreated the worse it gets.

I like the odd snooze no problem for the continentals is it?:D:D

jonnysmum

Jun 22, 2013
Preston,lancashire
I have to admit I am concerned that she may not be eating & drinking enough, I have mentioned to her that I will have to call her GP because I'm worried but she gets very aggressive with me. I hadn't considered anemia!!
I am also concerned that she will not bathe, wash her hair nor brush her teeth - it is always - I cant be bothered or I will do it later.
My sister & I feel that it may be time to ask for help (as we both have families of our own & work full time) but we feel like we are letting her down !!

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
johnysmum

I'd suggest that you have no choice but to get her to the GP asap, she may be ill and need medication nothing to do with A/VD.

Don't feel guilt about asking for help, you need it and I'd say you are letting her down if you don't get her help not if you do.
A carer could go in and help mum up and it may be washing is another task a bit too difficult now. So do try to get help and if possible does she or could she get a place for a couple of hours in a day centre.

Tigers15

Oct 21, 2012
It seems to me that everything abnormal about behaviour is normal with this horrible disease.

The staff at my dad's home try very very hard to get him to go to bed to sleep, but as soon as night time falls he wants to walk about. By day, they struggle to get him out of his room - they do achieve this on a daily basis 98%. What dad refuses is to have a shower or even a wash, except very occasionally.

This doesn't mean to say that everything that is out of the ordinary is to do with the illness - it could well be something else and therefore a GP should be consulted. The home regularly have the GP out to dad and they will consult his psychiatrist for any ideas to resolve his non sleeping, not getting up,etc. In fact prior to dad going into a nursing home I must say that his psychiatrist was extremely helpful - he didn't mind how many times I rang to talk about dad's change of behaviour.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Husband is the opposite. He's up several times in the night and doesn't seem to have more than a v ery brief nod in the morning. He constantly wanders about so he should be tired by night time.I'm not sure if it's the AD or the Bi-polar and neither are the CH staff.The GP is reluctant to give him any more meds as his walking is not great as it is.

Let's face it there's no set path for Dementia.

Take care

Lyn T

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree with others everything us normal! Whilst it's fine to let her sleep if she needs to I would certainly get her checked out at the GPs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23