Is it me?

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Is it me, or does there seem to be a connection between thyroid disorders and Alzheimer's? My dad had a thyroid condition which went untreated for a number of years which resulted in him losing weight and developing paranoia and a detrioration of his mental health. This was finally treated with radioactive iodine, and various medications. Since then his weight fluctuated dramatically and his mental health didn't really recover. About 18/24 months ago he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
I've been trying to read up on the condition and he doesn't seem alone in having thyroid problems and then developing Alzheimers. Anyone else of the same view? Sorry if I'm merely repeating the obvious.

Also, I've read the factsheet on eating, and it mentions appetite on there. My dad could eat for England and my mum has to keep an eye on him to stop him gaining too much weight - he already has cholesterol problems and high blood pressure. Again, any suggestions/observations on this?

Many thanks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mother had an underactive Thyroid and was on medication. Unfortunately I didn`t know about it, we lived 12 miles away from her at the time and didn`t see so much of each other.

When we moved nearer her, and I went to see her/our GP about her memory, he realized :eek: she hadn`t asked for a repeat prescription for Thyroxine for 3 years.

It was absolute neglect on the part of her GP. But I don`t know which came first, her underactive Thyroid or her memory problems.

Both my sister and I take Thyroxine. My thyroid gland does not fuction, my sister`s is underactive.

I am 65, she is 63. So far so good...................

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I think if there was any significant link between the two conditions it would have been spotted by now. I think that thyroid problems can give dementia-like symptoms but that these disappear when the problem is treated.

Certainly there has been much investigation into links between Alzheimer's and any pre-existing medical condition, not least because if there were then treating the one might prevent the other. Or at least give warning of increased risk.

Sadly, much of Alzheimer's like everything else to do with the brain remains largely a mystery

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
When Mum was admitted to hospital June 06, it was discovered she had an underactive Thyroid, the Hospital Doctor convinced us her confusion was down to this diagnosis. After 3 weeks Mum was discharged and we were told her condition would improve with the medication, it didnt.
It was obvious that Mum had AZ and the 2 months she spent living by herself, with a so called care package, was horrendous.
Mum has been with us over 13 months and still has an underactive Thyroid and is on Thyroxine, she was diagnosed with AZ November 06.

I had my Thyroid removed in 1995 and will be on Throxine for life, my Mums 3 older sisters ALL had AZ, I do not know if any of them had Thyroid problems.

Take Care
Janetruth x

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
My Thyroxine level depleted to nothing earlier this year, i didn't realise this till it made me very ill. I thought the weight gain was due to me giving up smoking earlier in the year. I was aware that my memory was affected and told it would improve by my GP. Which thankfully it has.
Dads takes a very low dose of Thyroxine which was detected when a routine blood test was done when his AZ was diagnosed 4 years ago. My eldest son was also diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in April, which apparently is a link through me. i have thought that it is best to live life on a daily basis and not to look to far in the future after this unhappy year. Of course this is only my opinion, but it wouldn't surprise me to be linked in some way.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I know that my Mother was treated for an overactive thyroid gland many years ago (Before my birth) with radioactive iodine. I am unsure how much testing has been done since, however she did carry a lot of weight during ehr adult life which didn't help her BP and she aslo developed type 11 diabetes.

Don't know how much they are all related but figure that in years to come that they will start to find common factors which may or may not cause problems when combined with other things. Currently, unfortunately, I think convential Western Medicine tends to look only at one symptom and one causal factor rather than the entire spectrum.

Mameeskye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa