Is It Just Me

doris

Oct 3, 2005
Hi every one,
Things are not too bad at the moment and we are going through a good period (only one all nighter) this week.
I still haven't recieved any results from the specalist so i rang. The secretary said that we would recieve the results shortly with a copy going to the doctor.
The same day my friend had a bad turn and i called the doctor and mentioned about the results. He said that the results had come back and that the results showed nothing so he is putting all the problems( memory, not sleeping , unable to wake some days, not knowing where he lives, halluciations etc) down to old age. I have spent 4 years to get some one to diagnos my friend and they tell me its old age, i wouldn't say much but he's only 69. Do you get to a certain stage and they just shut the door on you or is it me?

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Doris

69 is not old! --- 79 maybe, but that response to the problems your poor friend is suffering sounds uncaring and way too flippant to me.

Is there any way you can ask for a second opinion? We found the practice nurse a great help at the early stages of Mum's AD, she pushed for a referral to a psychiatrist who saw Mum within a month and then her diagnosis was made.

I get so very angry that the first question asked about anyone is there age, there seems to be an immediate response then of putting a person in a category;
for young --- "growing pains" or "over-anxious parents"
for middle age ---- "hormones" or "mid-life crisis"
for elderly --- "it's your age"

Grrrr!!

How many of your circle of family and friends is a similar age and having the same symptoms? Hopefully none, so march back and ask for a full explanation of what is causing each of the symptoms being experienced by your poor friend.

Good Luck
Kathleen
xx

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi Doris

I totally agree with Kathleen. Sounds like more than old age to me, and who says 69 is old for dear's sake?

Get them to get a second opinion.

Good luck.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Doris
it really annoys me the way the meducs use the "old age" excuse.
Kathleen has it one,it is only one of the age groups where an excuse is used
It is nonsense to call 69 old.
A silly story: A man went to his GP with pains in his right leg,the Doc said it is arthritis due to your age.
The man asked why then is my left leg ok when both legs are the same age?

Norman

doris

Oct 3, 2005
I rang the consultants secretary again today to be to that my friend has been referred to another doctor but we don't know how long that will take.
He is having a 'sleep day' today where he does sleep all night and has difficulty awaking in the morning. Does any one else experience this, it seems to happen at least once a week.. He has been good this last week or so, so i hope we are not going down hill again. By his symptoms what stage does anyone think he is at, if thats possible to answer?
I feel that if i knew what stage he was at i would have an idea of whats ahead, i know everyone is different but the diasese does have a pattern.
Thanks for you comments
Doris

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Dear Doris

My mum would have had times when she would have slept all day and nothing could have stirred her. I used to go over and make sure she was still alive! It seems there are times in this disease when they will be extremely tired, and then bounce back again.

You can never tell what stage someone is at with this illness as they frequently come out of 'the mists' in some cases and you start thinking to yourself that maybe they don't have Alzhiemer's or dementia at all!

Your best bet is to wait on the new doc seeing your friend. You can't guess stages with this illness, it is a personal journey for the sufferer, I don't believe any two cases are ever the same.

Good luck in your efforts to get help for your friend, they are very lucky to have you looking out for them.