Is Falling common with AZ?

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
My mums 92 and has had Az for about 3 years. She first fell a few months ago. Fortunately didn't hurt herself too badly and we just put it down to an accident. But, since then, I've noticed several big bruises on her hips, arms etc and she recently was in agony with her shoulder and side. She said she'd fallen but we didn't know when. I took her for xray but nothing broken, but I do fear its only a matter of time before something serious happens. She also had a big lump right at the back of her head. She's lost quite a bit of weight now where she doesn't eat much and frankly has no 'padding' if she falls. The Gp has been informed, and has checked her over but offers no explanation as to why this is happening. I wondered if anyone knew how common this was or what may be causing it. Shes on Aricept and also citralopram for depression. Mum just says she got up too fast each time and won't accept that this is now a real problem. Any advice would be welcomed my dear TP friends! xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
My husband fell a lot and on reflection it was the hardest part to cope with. He forgot that he needed a frame and his balance was poor, would get out of bed or a chair and then fall within seconds. It meant I had to be with him constantly and it was a nightmare at night.

You should mention this to the GP as in some areas there is a 'falls clinic' - not sure how much this helps a dementia patient in later stages, but it may be worth asking. An OT may come along to assess the situation and offer a frame or 'holding bars'.

I am really sorry as I know how worrying it can be.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband has mixed dementia and has started to wobble, stagger and stumble on stairs. Fortunately he has not yet had a bad fall but it is coming soon I am sure.
I've been told it is because his brain is not telling him where his feet are.
We have a physiotherapist from Social Services coming out on Thursday to assess him, check our home is 'friendly' for him and to show him how to use a walking stick - he won't let me help him as there is nothing wrong and I am worrying for nothing!!!
Maybe you could ask SS for an assessment.

stillcaring

Sep 4, 2011
my mum is getting wobblier too - she's usually OK if we go out for a walk but when doing things like looking at veg in Sainsburys or looking for things in the house she just seems to forget which way is up

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Mum falls over when she gets unwell, otherwise even with advanced dementia she needs a little support because she shuffles but she doesn't fall. It is very noticeable and now we know that when she starts to fall we need to get her on antibiotics. I know it isn't the same for everyone but maybe it is worth mentioning to the GP?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother at 95 has pretty bad AD and falls regularly, though she was very mobile even in mid stage AD. She is not on any meds at all, so that is not a factor. After breaking a hip a few years ago she is supposed to use a frame, but will never remember, and wanders quite a lot on and off, inc. at night, so CH staff can't always be watching, and they can't really stop her since it's evidently something she 'needs' to do.

Some of the falls have left her face looking horrendous, as if she's done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson and she's needed stitches at A&E, but she never remembers what has happened and never seems in much discomfort afterwards.
I have come to the conc. that it's part of the condition, and there's not much we can do without physically fastening her to chair or bed, which obviously isn't on.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Mum falls, I guess for a number of reasons.

She sits for quite extended periods, laid quite back, When she gets up, her blood pressure can drop, with makes her feel giddy.

secondly, she doesn't realise her own limitations. Good old VD means that whatever you think you can do, you can in your mind- so although she really cannot get across a room unsupported these days, she thinks she can, and crashes into anything in the way.

She also seems to bruise really easily

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23