Is end near?

Jasclh

Jan 5, 2019
My husband’s grandmother who had dementia. She had been admitted to hospital since 24/11 due vomitting and no appetite to eat. Granny was discharged on the 10/12 but admitted again after four days. She was diagnosed with pneumonia after we fed her lunch as normal a day before admission and her Kidneys fails to function properly. Doc did a scoped her and confirmed that she is unsuitable to eat. Thus she had to be put on full feeding tube.

After her discharge on 24/12. On and off she couldnt recognize us nor talk more two words. She could sleep for continuous for two days and wake up two days. During the 10 days stay at home, when she woke up, she will hallucinate and tell us stuffs like her stuff was left outside the house or her friends are outside of the house and insist on going out using a word or two to express herself. Her sleep prolong to three days these last few days.

On the 2/1 we realized that her knee and hand was swollen. We didnt think much as doc had diagnosed her with atrial fibrillation and Hyperlipidemia. 3/1 her lower body further to swollen till her hip. Whenever i tried to touch her, she will cry out in pain. I called the home nurse and she advice us to send her to the hospital. She was diagnose with UTI and high sodium, kidney didnt function as normal again.

Fast forward 5/1 her whole body was swell up like ballon, doctor had to give medication to let her pass out her water. She was awake and doze off after a while. She didnt answer to any of our questions nor recognise us anymore.

As a caregiver, it pains to see her like this.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Jasclh and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband's grandmother's situation. It must be awful for her and equally awful for you to watch.

Is your she still in hospital? I'm sorry if I've misunderstood! If she is I think you should ask for a meeting with the consultant who is responsible for your mum's care. When my husband was in hospital and it was clear that he wasn't responding to treatment. The consultant asked for a private meeting with me. At that meeting she explained that they wanted to remove the drip, antibiotics etc as he wasn't responding. They made it clear to me that once this happened it would only be a matter of days before he passed away.

In my mother's case she was at home with us and on morphine etc. It was agreed that she should be put on a morphine syringe driver. The GP spoke to me and my bother and made it clear that once that happened it would only be a matter of time before she passed away.

I know your situation is different but I think an honest discussion with a medical professional would help you be clear in terms her situation.

Wishing you strength.

Jasclh

Jan 5, 2019
Hello @Jasclh and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband's grandmother's situation. It must be awful for her and equally awful for you to watch.

Is your she still in hospital? I'm sorry if I've misunderstood! If she is I think you should ask for a meeting with the consultant who is responsible for your mum's care. When my husband was in hospital and it was clear that he wasn't responding to treatment. The consultant asked for a private meeting with me. At that meeting she explained that they wanted to remove the drip, antibiotics etc as he wasn't responding. They made it clear to me that once this happened it would only be a matter of days before he passed away.

In my mother's case she was at home with us and on morphine etc. It was agreed that she should be put on a morphine syringe driver. The GP spoke to me and my bother and made it clear that once that happened it would only be a matter of time before she passed away.

I know your situation is different but I think an honest discussion with a medical professional would help you be clear in terms her situation.

Wishing you strength.
Thank you the speedy response. Yes granny is still in the hospital as of today. I had just spoken to them today and yesterday. They are still monitoring her water retention as she had AF thus they worry that heart attack will occur. They didnt mention about morphine though.

Doctor told us the life expectancy of 2-3 months in December, as her condition deteriorating too fast.

Jasclh

Jan 5, 2019
Granny condition didnt deteriorate much but on Furosemide drip her body continue to swelled further. Her red blood cell dropped till she requires to have a blood tranfusion to 6.6, normal person is 11. Doctor despite internal bleeding so we are waiting for them to take her stool for testing. She was awake yesterday, able to reply me using a word or two. But today she didnt awake up despite us trying to wake her up. Praying hard that her result turns out fine.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))) @Jasclh I am so sorry - it must be a worry.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what sort of quality of life they will have and are all these treatments prolonging life or merely prolonging death? It is so hard to let go. I think you need a very frank and open discussion with the doctor about what they hope to achieve.