is eating only 2 food supplements a day enough

CLOWES

Aug 7, 2017
Congleton, Cheshire
Hi everyone, I am new to this site, I currently work full time but also care for my Dad who is 85 and suffering from Alzheimers.
I am at a crossroads and don`t know what direction to take
Dad lives alone in his bungerlow, he has recently declined considerably, both me and my brother are visiting up to 5 times a day between us.
We can`t get him to eat, he insists he`s not hungry. The doctor prescribed 2 x shakes a day which he has but that is it. He drinks perhaps 6 cups of tea a day which we make for him, he has stopped preparing his own food and drink.
He only leaves the chair to use the toilet. He`s lost interest in everything, we leave him with the TV on.
:confused:How long can we go on like this
Any suggestions would be good

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Its probably enough to sustain him, rather than strengthen him ( if you get what I mean)

Could you introduce perhaps thick soups or smoothies to supplement them? ( 'Like the Dr said , dad'' )

Jessie107

Aug 11, 2016
Brighton
You could try putting easy to eat food on a plate for him, things like sausage rolls, cherry tomatoes, grapes, cheese etc.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Clowes. Welcome to the forum.

Does your dad have any other help coming in, besides you and your brother? Any input from Social Services? Is he in receipt of Attendance Allowance and the Council Tax discount? If not, maybe now would be a good time to get him a Needs Assessment, and Carer's Assessment for yourself & your brother.

As regards the eating, have you tried eating with your dad? Even something calorie laden, like cake with cream to have with tea? "Look dad, I got us a special treat!" and then another time, maybe something like a cottage pie to share with him?

And have you thought about a Day Centre, even a couple of days a week? Your dad might resist, but he might also benefit hugely from the stimulation, the company and the activity , and it would give you and your brother a break on those days too.

Do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Just some other random thoughts on eating- colour of plate, easy to hold knife/fork/spoon, assistance with cutting food up, referral to dietician, soft diet, problems with teeth?

CLOWES

Aug 7, 2017
Congleton, Cheshire
Hi Clowes. Welcome to the forum.

Does your dad have any other help coming in, besides you and your brother? Any input from Social Services? Is he in receipt of Attendance Allowance and the Council Tax discount? If not, maybe now would be a good time to get him a Needs Assessment, and Carer's Assessment for yourself & your brother.

As regards the eating, have you tried eating with your dad? Even something calorie laden, like cake with cream to have with tea? "Look dad, I got us a special treat!" and then another time, maybe something like a cottage pie to share with him?

And have you thought about a Day Centre, even a couple of days a week? Your dad might resist, but he might also benefit hugely from the stimulation, the company and the activity , and it would give you and your brother a break on those days too.

Do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Hi Lady A

My dad is receiving some financial help, and we are on a referral list to see what extra help we can possibly get.
with regards to his eating we have tried everything except Soup so I`m going to give that a try in a mug so he thinks its a drink. He does struggle with his teeth (he`s got none)so he wont eat in front of anyone, He also hides what he hasn`t eaten
I`m going to try a dementia cafe too at our local garden centre, thats if I can get him to move

thanks to you all for your replies