Is dementia classed as vulnerable?

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
Well it really is hard for you . Anyone who cares for someone with dementia has a difficult job. My husband is not bad physically but has no short term memory, and so asks the same thing over and over again, can’t ask him to do much as by the time I have asked he has forgotten what he is supposed to be doing. I am 90 and have a very bad back, I hope there will be a little help there for me if he gets to needing physical care. Thinking of you both, and wishing you well. Phyl G.
Hello Phyl, thank you for your kind words, I am so sorry that you are having to cope with looking after your Husband with Dementia and yourself, you make me feel very humble. I seem to have been in self isolation since the beginning of December, as my Husband wouldn't go out in the rain, wind, dark etc so apart from the weekly shop we didn't go out. Just when the days were getting longer and the weather kinder, when we could have had a little walk, and call in the cafe for a coffee, we end up with this virus to contend with and put in lock-down for at least 3 months. Do you get any help? Look after yourselves. Jan L x

Pink-geranium

Nov 27, 2019
london
Hi Jan L, Are you sure carers in the home aren't an option? We started with one a few weeks before the great lockdown and she still comes. We are all fine even in the hot spot, London, with careful hand washing. Distancing is not an option as my husband doesn't understand the need

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
Hi Jan L, Are you sure carers in the home aren't an option? We started with one a few weeks before the great lockdown and she still comes. We are all fine even in the hot spot, London, with careful hand washing. Distancing is not an option as my husband doesn't understand the need
Hello, thank you for your reply and your reassurance, I was on the brink of trying to get Carers in or someone to sit with my Husband when all these problems started with Covid-19. We were unable to do very much through the winter, apart from shop once a week, and with his deteriorating mobility I can't take him out with me very far, but I felt that there were probably more needy cases than me, as I am still reasonable well and fit for someone in their 70's, especially those living alone with no one to support them. I feel very guilty when they show these people with adult children with all sorts of problems, they are having to care for without the respite and carers they are used to.

I am very nervous about letting people into the house with this virus about, but I would be interested to know how the Carers work with you. Our lives here seem so erratic, he doesn't want to get up in a morning won't co-operate going to the toilet, so I just let things happen as and when I can get it done without confrontation, fortunately he isn't violent, but he is unable to speak and can't find his way around the house to go to the toilet or what he has to do when I get him there. I need to sit by him to make him drink and if I leave the table for anything when we are eating, he stops eating too. Without me by his side he is unable to function.

Stay safe and well.

Jan L

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
So hard for you at the moment you mention about him not finding the toilet have you considered purchasing a toilet sign you should look for one that he could clearly read the writing on it plus you need one with a picture of a toilet on it also another consideration would be a commode contact Adult Social care and discuss your dilemma about the two hour visits. Another option is to contact the Continence Service for your area and see what they suggest. It is really hard but if you don't do it for him unfortunately no one else will. My Mum has Vasc/Alzheimer's I reached out to a support group about 11 months ago the lady is very understanding I don't contact her now but if I need to I can.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @jwr
a warm welcome to DTP

you can reply to a thread by scrolling down to the bottom of the page where there's an empty text box ..... type in .... then press the blue 'Reply' box under the text box

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jwr
your message came across

have a look at the video on posting here

you are pressing the blue 'post reply' button on a post .... this means that post will be in the text box as a quotation .... so you need to begin typing under the quotation where the cursor is flashing

Last edited: