Is Dad now in the final stages of Alzheimer's?

Honeybee10

Dec 27, 2016
My dad went into full time care on17 January. He walked in and was able to hold a conversation although he had no idea where he was or what was going on. Six weeks later he has gone downhill rapidly, can no longer hold a conversation, constantly falling asleep, needs help with personal care and is not walking at all well. The GP believes his heart is now failing (he had four heart by passes carried out about 30 years ago) and has no pulses in his feet due to hardening of the arteries. He is at least eating well (before he went into care he was forgetting to eat or drink and was very skinny and dehydrated) but looks very grey. He does not know who I am although I think he realises that he knows me.
Is he in the final stages of the disease? He's gone downhill so rapidly I just wonder what's likely to happen next?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Honeybee10
just wanted to send sympathy and warm wishes
as I can't offer an answer to your question
maybe have a chat with the GP and the home manager and tell them that you'd like them to be up front with you so you have a clearer idea of what is happening; sometimes the medics and staff hold back from saying much until they get a signal from the family, as some would rather not know too much
best wishes

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
My dad went into full time care on17 January. He walked in and was able to hold a conversation although he had no idea where he was or what was going on. Six weeks later he has gone downhill rapidly, can no longer hold a conversation, constantly falling asleep, needs help with personal care and is not walking at all well. The GP believes his heart is now failing (he had four heart by passes carried out about 30 years ago) and has no pulses in his feet due to hardening of the arteries. He is at least eating well (before he went into care he was forgetting to eat or drink and was very skinny and dehydrated) but looks very grey. He does not know who I am although I think he realises that he knows me.
Is he in the final stages of the disease? He's gone downhill so rapidly I just wonder what's likely to happen next?
I think a 'downturn' after a change or a move can result in a downturn. Certainly he may well be towards the latter end of his journey.
But that doesn't necessarily mean he's near the end anytime soon, especially if he's still eating well. Good nutrition can ward off a great many thing, which could cause other issues.
The heart issues are far more worrying, though again heart failure doesn't necessarily mean imminent.

Madge99

Mar 29, 2014
My Dad had a similar episode to yours. Within a space of weeks he was suddenly unable to wash, dress, he started sleeping a lot and his mobility was greatly reduced. I asked one of the carers if she thought this was the beginning of the end and she said everyone is different and was generally very evasive. I realise now that she suspected it was not.
I always found it heartbreaking watching Dad go downhill so much, and just when you think he can't deteriorate any more, he did.
Two years later my Dad is now heading towards end of life care.