Is Cipro Safe for UTI Treatment?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by blu, Oct 23, 2019.

1. blu

blu Registered User

Mar 21, 2019
    I just got Grandma's test results which shows she has a UTI. It looks like we're still waiting for the results of the urine culture though. The doctor went ahead and prescribed Cipro because he's going to be out of the office until Monday.

In the past, I've always refused Cipro. I'm wondering how others here feel about it? I may either have to wait until Monday to get another medication or go ahead and use Cipro. If Grandma does indeed have a UTI, it could explain why her behavior has been "off" recently. I question the results only because we could not clean her as instructed prior to her giving the urine sample.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @blu

I know nothing about Cipro but a quick search showed it is prescribed for UTIs so I`m not sure why you are so concerned.

Even if your grandma does not have a UTI, it sounds as if something is wrong and I doubt at this stage in her dementia an antibiotic would be harmful.

3. Havemercy

Havemercy Registered User

Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry posted wrongly.

4. Havemercy

Havemercy Registered User

Oct 8, 2012