Is carer support possible?

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
It’s 7 days since my mastectomy. Recovering ok.
The diagnosis and initial treatment for breast cancer all done within 3 weeks “in shock” Thankfully our children stepped in and supported me and OH ( Frontal lobe dementia) diagnosed 2019. He is oblivious to it all. Miss his support so much. Booked carers and my lovely sister for during the week and the Children have done weekends. But worry about the future now.
Have to undergo chemo but not got the results or schedule yet.
Have 2 hours care each week from social services arranged by carers link and pay for extra when I need it we are self funding.
I was hoping that we would be entitled to some extra support while I am having chemo. I can’t leave my OH on his own. I have rung social services but they were not very informative or forthcoming and have not got back to me.
Does anybody know if we are entitled to any help or because we are self funding do we have to sort everything out ourselves?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
It’s 7 days since my mastectomy. Recovering ok.
The diagnosis and initial treatment for breast cancer all done within 3 weeks “in shock” Thankfully our children stepped in and supported me and OH ( Frontal lobe dementia) diagnosed 2019. He is oblivious to it all. Miss his support so much. Booked carers and my lovely sister for during the week and the Children have done weekends. But worry about the future now.
Have to undergo chemo but not got the results or schedule yet.
Have 2 hours care each week from social services arranged by carers link and pay for extra when I need it we are self funding.
I was hoping that we would be entitled to some extra support while I am having chemo. I can’t leave my OH on his own. I have rung social services but they were not very informative or forthcoming and have not got back to me.
Does anybody know if we are entitled to any help or because we are self funding do we have to sort everything out ourselves?
have you ask an organisation like macmillan cancer support. they might know about entitlements regarding your support and with that support for you as a carer as well. you are going to need help. my mum had breast cancer and chemo and there were people from there who helped her. if its not them, then they should know where to go.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Janey B
good to hear that your recovery is ok
no wonder you are looking into more support

I agree Macmillan Nurses may be able to help

and try Admiral Nurses too

unfortunately, though, as your husband is self-funding, I think you may be left to organise extra support for yourselves ... might you consider some respite stays so your husband is looked after and you are able to just let go and relax

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
have you ask an organisation like macmillan cancer support. they might know about entitlements regarding your support and with that support for you as a carer as well. you are going to need help. my mum had breast cancer and chemo and there were people from there who helped her. if its not them, then they should know where to go.

Thanks Jennifer
Good idea will ask them ??

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
hi @Janey B
good to hear that your recovery is ok
no wonder you are looking into more support

I agree Macmillan Nurses may be able to help

and try Admiral Nurses too

unfortunately, though, as your husband is self-funding, I think you may be left to organise extra support for yourselves ... might you consider some respite stays so your husband is looked after and you are able to just let go and relax

Thanks Shedrech
Never had any contact with the admiral nurses but will give them a ring. Will wait until my consultation has taken place then I will know exactly what I need. Just like to be organised ?