Is anyone having this problem?

Sandgrounder

May 5, 2006
Merseyside
This is my first post, finally think I can cope...at least today when the sun is shining.
My husband was diagnosed with dementia before Christmas but for two years before the diagnosis, and continuing, he's having what we thought were panic attacks but don't seem to have the panic attack symptoms, and I was wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems. These 'attacks' are very upsetting for him, and happen out of the blue. He says he feels like he's losing a sense of reality, is 'going back' down a tunnel, can't speak or shouts because he can't hear, and is pretty paralysed for the length of the episode, which lasts up to 8 minutes. Afterwards he's very confused and forgetful (more than usual!) and takes about 24 hours to properly recover. We don't know if it's part of the Alzheimer's condition or something else...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Sandgrounder

Having suffered from panic attacks myself some tiime ago, the scope of your husband's symptoms as described would seem to be something a bit more severe. OK, we're all different and I don't imagine every person's experience should or is going to match mine, but I felt breathless, flushed & slightly faint (alarming when you are driving!) & as if my heart was up in my throat, beating very fast & thready.

Has your husband ever had a stroke or any history of epilepsy? The other symptoms you describe sound a bit like 'petit mal' or mild epilepsy.
I should hasten to add I have no medical qualifications at all so this is only a suggestion in answer to your query, but I was at school for 5 years with a friend who suffered several petit mal occasions, when she was not unconscious but glassy-eyed & 'out of it' for several minutes.
It may well be worth checking it out with the doctor.
Unfortunately, dementia sufferers can & do get other conditions in addition to dementia, as if that wasn't already enough to cope with!

Last edited:

Sandgrounder

May 5, 2006
Merseyside
Thanks Lynne, when my husband was really ill with these episodes early last year he ended up in hospital where they suspected epilepsy, but on investigation it was ruled out. My husband is also diabetic but we've ruled out 'lows' etc. It's just so upsetting for him - and he gets easily upset - and I just feel that if it was linked to the Alzheimers then at least we would know and could accept/deal with it...or maybe not. We're both still getting used to the idea of his Alzheimer's diagnosis.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
TIA a possibility?

Could be a variant of a Transient Ischaemic attack, perhaps?
Definition from http://www.bhf.org.uk/questions/index.asp?secondlevel=1181&thirdlevel=1420#6584:
What are the symptoms of a TIA?
Symptoms may include numbness or pins and needles in a part of the body, weakness of one part of the body, headache, uncoordinated speech, difficulties with swallowing, limited visual field, dizziness, nausea, or deafness. Transient ischaemic attacks are usually short lived and symptoms are generally gone within 30-60 minutes but they may last up to 24 hours.
Are we talking Vascular Dementia here?

jan17362

May 2, 2006
scotland
sandgrounder

Like you , this is my first post. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with vascular dementia. I have similar attacks which are very frightening. My brain has just cleared from the last time. Some times I feel better the following day. Other days it takes a few days before I feel better. But I do get better till the next one. We can only hope we wake up feeling good in the mornig and that it lasts for a bit longer tis time.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Welcome aboard

Hello sangrounder and jan 17362

Welcome to TP. You have found a wonderful meeting place here, and I am sure you will get lots of help and advice.

Do keep posting. Connie

Sandgrounder

May 5, 2006
Merseyside
Thanks Jan and Brucie for your suggestions. My husband doesn't seem to suffer from the slurred speech and weakness which seems to be associated with tia's, but I will investigate the vascular dementia possibility further as it sounds like Jan 17362 understands what I'm talking about. I'm still at the need-to-know stage of the Alzheimer's diagnosis. I need to know to be able to best help my husband on this journey we seem to be starting out on.

Sandgrounder

May 5, 2006
Merseyside
Thanks for the welcome Connie,
I can see how much help and support this forum gives people as I've been reading posts since coming out of the black hole of my husband's diagnosis just before Christmas (great present)

So I'm sure I'll be back. On good days only as on the bad days I can't 'speak' to anyone.

jan17362

May 2, 2006
scotland
welcome

thanks for welcoming me Connie. It is quite hard sometimes to get my brain to do what I want it to do or to remember how to do things. I think my husband is still in denial at times. Although at others he is very cncerened that I cant do things like before. at least I have what they call a stepped problem. so some days I am almost normal??? I can see by some of the posts that so far I have a lot to be thankful for.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Welcome Jan

It is so good to have you joining us, so please do post whatever you want, and whenever it will be helpful to you..... as we all do of course. It is the neat thing about Internet communities like TP - there is always someone there.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Jan

Just a few words of welcome from me too.
I appreciate that there are significant differences between Vascular Dementia, and early-onset dementia, and the 'commoner' age-related dementia. However, I find it SO helpful to read posts by sufferers, who can give me some sort of insight as to what my Mum may be feeling & thinking. Whilst every family-carer is trying desperately to understand what's going on, we can really only guess. Thank you

Best wishes