Is anyone else in our boat?

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
My husband is 55, was diagnosed in 2014 with young onset Alzheimer’s at 51. He had two seizures in 2016 which seemed under control until April this year. He has now had nine more, the last one this morning. Each time he has one the doctors increase the medication. Has anyone else had this happen and is it more common with young onset?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi Alison. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's very upsetting watching a loved one having a seizure.
I wonder if the doctors have considered trying a different medication rather than just increasing the dose which doesn't seem to be working? Perhaps you could ask them about this?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Seizures are far more likely to happen in a brain that has received damage and are actually fairly common in Alzheimers.
My OH has seizures following a road accident many years ago and, more recently has started with cognitive decline. As his brain has become more damaged with the cognitive decline the epilepsy has become worse and he has required higher doses of anti-convulsants and several changes of medication over the years.

Who is treating the seizures? My OH is seeing a neurologist who is treating his epilepsy.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Hi Alison. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's very upsetting watching a loved one having a seizure.
I wonder if the doctors have considered trying a different medication rather than just increasing the dose which doesn't seem to be working? Perhaps you could ask them about this?
Thanks Stanleypj. I tried ringing the hospital re the change in medication but had to leave a message. I hope they will try something else as Epilim is certainly not working anymore. It seems to take OH down more each time he has one. I feels so very sorry for him.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Seizures are far more likely to happen in a brain that has received damage and are actually fairly common in Alzheimers.
My OH has seizures following a road accident many years ago and, more recently has started with cognitive decline. As his brain has become more damaged with the cognitive decline the epilepsy has become worse and he has required higher doses of anti-convulsants and several changes of medication over the years.

Who is treating the seizures? My OH is seeing a neurologist who is treating his epilepsy.
Thank you Canary. He is under UCL, hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queens Square London. It seems the more seizures he has the worse his cognitive decline becomes but I suppose it could be the chicken and egg scenario.