Is anyone else dreading

ds0rco

Jul 8, 2003
Is anyone else dreading the changes to the way pensions are paid? This is going to cause my mother so much distress, I think in common with a lot of Alzheimer's sufferers, she checks and re-checks her pension book, cheque book and building society books several times a day, if she no longer has a pension book she'll think it's lost or stolen and will fret. OK we can leave a written note for her explaining the situation, which, thankfully she still can understand but notes tend to get lost and her distress will start all over again.
Why can't the government think about older people with memory problems and have an exception for people with Alzheimer's/dementia?

Andrew

Jul 9, 2003
London
Pensions

I think this pensions change is going to hit a lot of people badly. It is right that people should be able to have pensions paid into an account if that is what they want. But I think there are lots of people who do not. They should not be forced to and I think people will find it very difficult.

I did some checking on this myself. I rang the helpline set up to deal with queries on the change to paying pensions and other benefits into accounts (tel. 0800 107 2000). What they said was:

All people are being sent letters inviting them to switch to payment into a bank, building society or post office account over the next two years. They do not say people will be forced to but this sounds like the implication.

I said what about someone with dementia who will not be able to remember PIN numbers etc. They said that it is possible to be considered for an exemption. The way to do this is to write to them explaining the reasons why this will cause you problems and asking to be exempted:

The Payments Modernisation Board
Communications Room 1104
Benton Park Road
Longbenton
Newcastle
NE9 8YX

They then decide whether you are suitable for an exemption. Good luck! I am angry that this has not been publicised enough.

RobK

Jul 31, 2003
Blackpool, Lancs
We have just changed my father over to direct payments into the bank after he twice lost his pensions book after putting it in 'a safe place'. It upset him that he couldn't find it, he alleged that it had been stolen, then told us he had destroyed it because he didn't think he was entitled to all the money. After the replacement book went missing we had a visit from the local DSS who suggested either making someone his designated rep or direct payment. There are plenty of advantages to this, there is no danger of the book being stolen, or of money going missing. He does not end up with large amounts of money in the house. There is the drawback of not being able to remember PIN numbers or get to the bank personally, and the upset of no longer being able to follow the ritual of trips to the post office but we have found that he has accepted the idea and no doubt before long he will not remember that it was ever any different.