Irritating Habits

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It hadnt actually occurred to me, but mum does that too - lining up the cutlery so that the bottom of the handles come to just the edge of the table.

I have been told that OCD often occurs when the person in question feels like they have no control over anything in their life and that it is a way of gaining control over something. I suppose that it would make sense for the dementia sufferer to try and regain some form of control.

Bill does that with the cutlery too. That's an interesting thought Canary.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
That's how Mum taught us to lay up. She was very particular about it. Is it possible that they are remembering childhood instructions?

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Lots of the above apply to OH too - including "one man band" and sometimes "zimmer banging" might earn him a place in the percussion section. Then tissue folding, refolding and shredding

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred developed OCD too. Couldn't stand anything out of place and was constantly tidying his drawers, etc.
Couldn't bear my bedroom with dressing table bits and pieces and was constantly telling me off for being lazy. Think he is still a bit like it as he is often to be found tidying up his residents' lounge.
Sent from my GT-N5110

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oooh, the tissue folding..........
Or the napkins in cafes........
Or toilet paper............
:(

And it all has to be folded so neatly..........with the corners just so

It just hadnt occurred to me :mad:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That's how Mum taught us to lay up. She was very particular about it. Is it possible that they are remembering childhood instructions?
That may well be where its come from, lemony, (also the tissue folding could be from where she used to fold hankies after ironing), but its the shear obsessiveness of it - the way it has to be just so that really does look like OCD.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
My hubby is for ever moving place mats on the table, after 5mins he starts again as he can't get them all straight, keeps him busy, but it is so frustrating for me to watch him.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Giving me directions when we're out in the car when he hasn't got a clue where we're going, or where we are. He thinks we're in London (where he was brought up) but we live in SE Wales. He gets quite shirty when I ignore him and turn the opposite direction! I know he can't help it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
The one that gets me (aside from the chomping/slurping of food and drink) is when Mil will ask OH or daughter a question, they reply and she turns to me to ask the very same thing - OH or daughter will ask her why she is asking again when they have just told her the answer and she always retorts - "Well, I thought you might be lying". It is really infuriating!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Just been reminded of another one - the obsessive tearing off loo paper sheets to put up sleeves! And I've been reminded 'cos I've just put a new roll on the holder and discovered that there are exactly 3 rolls of toilet paper left - I only bought a pack of 12 on Friday!

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Constantly trying to suck a non existent something from denture. Even had the dentist check them.
Me missing a tissue before putting on a dark wash

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
How many of these can I identify with!?

1. Placemats straight - not too bad, but yes.
2. Driving instructions - try to ignore, but so feel like saying, "I'm the one with the driving licence here!"
3. Foot tapping - can be a sign of boredom, but even does it when eating sometimes. OK, I know my cooking is boring.
4, Noises of various sorts, mentionable and otherwise, yes.
5. Putting things in dumb places - yes.

The other day he said, "Eh?" before I'd finished the sentence!!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Doing things in a constant loop which goes on until sleep stops it, only to resume upon waking.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Just been reminded of another one - the obsessive tearing off loo paper sheets to put up sleeves! And I've been reminded 'cos I've just put a new roll on the holder and discovered that there are exactly 3 rolls of toilet paper left - I only bought a pack of 12 on Friday!

I bought a holder and used to load it with rolls, and one in use. They all disappeared very quickly. Hubby uses them for...ain't tellin' yer that! No, it's not nice :eek: So I only put one on at a time, now. Also I get big blue kitchen rolls and give him two of those. One for the bedroom, and one for when he's in the living room. The rest of the toilet tissue is hidden away. Helps a lot.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
The other day he said, "Eh?" before I'd finished the sentence!![/QUOTE]

I get that all the time Optocarol. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but I have to repeat everything. I think it's because he can't process things said to him fast enough, but it makes spontaneous conversation (even our rather onesided conversations)
difficult. Worst when we're in the car because usually whatever you commented on has now long gone.
Es
x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
"Good night, love."
<No answer>
"Good ni-ight!!"
<No answer>
"GOOD NIGHT!"
"Yes..."

Every frickin' evening.

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
Irritating

thought it was just me getting irritable with horrible habits. Shoving food in like it,s the last meal, yawning loudly, snorting it goes on and on! Try to think of nicer things , not easy!

Challenged

Jun 20, 2016
Oxfordshire
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've just joined this group specifically to search for help in how to deal with irritating habits. With dementia, you can't say: "STOP DOING THAT". So the only solution is to find a way to cope with irritations and repetitions. I'm not managing. And realise it's bad for my health. How can I change? How do other people manage?