Irritating Habits

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Bree, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Bree

Bree Registered User

Oct 16, 2013
    Honestly it's driving me up the wall. The champing of teeth, the constant grunts, and now the stamping of the left foot on the floor, it's like living 24/7 with a one man band ! :eek::eek:

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Ha! Sorry but that did make me laugh!

It's the grinding of the teeth that grinds me down!:rolleyes:

3. lexy

lexy Registered User

Nov 24, 2013
    #3 lexy, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    deleted

4. Bree

Bree Registered User

Oct 16, 2013
    Sometimes you have to see the funny side. ;)

5. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Two things for me; you wouldn't want to know what either of them are, but they're really 'orrible!

Much love to you.

6. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    It's the l.o.n.g sighs as he gets ready to go to bed. He doesn't have to prove he's tired!

7. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    His constant fidgeting and foot wiggling that shakes the whole sofa! And grunting while eating! The insistent head scratching! Peeling off a banana skin in its entirety before eating it! The way he shovels food in! Touching all my things and folding up my newspapers when I haven't finished reading them yet! Ditto for the TV guide! Stalking me into the kitchen every time I try to cook! Folding up used tissues and putting them on the table next to the shoes that also found their way there!

I have to stop before my blood pressure raises!

8. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Bree your 'one man band' made me :D too:eek:

I don't know what I do to irritate others, only that I'm sure I do:eek: but you're all too polite to say.;)
    But I do know it irritates me no end when I can't find what I'm looking for when I know its there:(

9. 1954

1954 Registered User

Jan 3, 2013
    Sidcup
    I'm sorry too but it brought a smile to me too

We have constant champing especially when eating. Nose picking. And numerous others which nearly drive me over the edge! Of course none of these things happen when someone else is here! It's all saved up for hubby and I

10. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Oh how could I forget about the nose picking! And the nail biting! And the endless rearranging of his placemat at mealtimes!

11. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    The placemats! Bill has to have everything lined up exactly straight!

12. 1954

1954 Registered User

Jan 3, 2013
    Sidcup
    Dipping toast in her boiled egg and it all drips down her 'bib' and constant fiddling with her food

Slurping her drinks and most goes down her front. I know she can't help I though

13. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    He can spend ages on getting it just so! Why does no one tell you that they get OCD on top of everything else?

14. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    At the end of the day although they drive me mad I am so sad for my husband that these things are out of his control.

15. Oxy

Oxy Registered User

Jul 19, 2014
    I do agree Izzy but at the time.......

This thread does help to see we are not alone with whatever foibles we are presented with.

16. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    #16 Spamar, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Hadn't thought about OCD. He lines his shoes up with millimetre precision, socks on top just so.it doesn't annoy me, more amuses me. Place mat is another one, has to be just right!

17. Amber 3

Amber 3 Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    South Devon
    Constantly stroking the tiles in the fireplace, then running his hand over the mantelpiece....Finger marks everywhere, and have had to remove all ornaments !
    Driving me mad !! :mad:

18. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    It hadnt actually occurred to me, but mum does that too - lining up the cutlery so that the bottom of the handles come to just the edge of the table.

I have been told that OCD often occurs when the person in question feels like they have no control over anything in their life and that it is a way of gaining control over something. I suppose that it would make sense for the dementia sufferer to try and regain some form of control.

19. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    That would make a lot of sense, canary. He never used to do things like that.

20. Miss Merlot

Miss Merlot Registered User

Oct 15, 2012
    The tone of voice in which she says, "oh ye-esss", "oh, I kno-owww" - even if she hasn't a clue of what we're talking about.