Irregular urinating

Julie1234

Mar 31, 2020
My Mum is immobile and uses a commode. The last two days she has urinated at breakfast time then doesn't urinate again until between 8-9pm in the evening. Yesterday she insisted that she didn't even need the toilet at 9pm but I said everyone goes to the toilet before bed. During the night she then urinated about 4 times in the night. We are making sure she is drinking plenty during the day so I don't think she could be dehydrated. What is going on during the day surely this can't be normal?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Julie1234

I’ve not come across this problem myself but I think I’ve heard of it happening with older people. It must make it difficult to cope. Hopefully someone will be along soon with something more useful to say.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My husband has this. He has a catheter, so I can see the urine output. He too only passes about 500cc during the day, but about a litre and a half to two litres overnight. He has a condition called nocturnal polyurea - where the normal daily rhythm of pruducing urine during the day and then not much at night, is reversed. It is associated with his orthostatic hypotension. Ive been told that it can also occur with Parkinsons

Julie1234

Mar 31, 2020
My Mum is immobile and uses a commode. The last two days she has urinated at breakfast time then doesn't urinate again until between 8-9pm in the evening. Yesterday she insisted that she didn't even need the toilet at 9pm but I said everyone goes to the toilet before bed. During the night she then urinated about 4 times in the night. We are making sure she is drinking plenty during the day so I don't think she could be dehydrated. What is going on during the day surely this can't be normal?
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Julie1234

I’ve not come across this problem myself but I think I’ve heard of it happening with older people. It must make it difficult to cope. Hopefully someone will be along soon with something more useful to say.
Thank you

Julie1234

Mar 31, 2020
My husband has this. He has a catheter, so I can see the urine output. He too only passes about 500cc during the day, but about a litre and a half to two litres overnight. He has a condition called nocturnal polyurea - where the normal daily rhythm of pruducing urine during the day and then not much at night, is reversed. It is associated with his orthostatic hypotension. Ive been told that it can also occur with Parkinsons
Thank you for your help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere