"Irrational fears"

Mums helper

Sep 7, 2014
Hi, my 85 year old mum has quite far advanced dementia, in that she needs to be dressed, washed, guided around at all times.She can talk and hold conversation, though it might not make perfect sense, I can usually get what she is saying.she does not hallucinate daytime.
Recently, she has developed a fear in her bedroom. She becomes convinced that their is a danger in the corner of her room. Last night she said it would kill her. Her room seems filled with ditches, trees and a man. She becomes fearful, it is horrible to watch and although I try and reassure her, it's hard as it is real to her. Last night I had to say that I didn't know what to do as to her it was dangerous but to me it seemed perfectly safe. She did accept that but on other nights she has shot out of her room saying she cannot stay there and wants to go home. She is at home. It is heartbreaking. She does eventually settle. We have night care and they are good with her.
Any suggestions? I dread bedtime. I try and make it as happy and normal as possible. She is not on any medication.
Thanks x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
How are her eyes? Does she have cataracts? Are the corners of her room dark and could you put a light in the dark place. She may be seeing ditches where the dark floor is at the end of the bed.Has she seen something on TV that has stayed with her. It maybe that she was afraid of the dark as a child and it is returning to her as she gets more advanced in her illness.

How about plug in skirting board height night lights?

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi, my dad has dlb and does have probs with sleeping..hes had hallucinations pre medication..I said to consultant that I thought he had sleep disorder to go with dlb..dementia with lewy bodys..he prescriped meds and he sleeps through no nasty dreams etc...the other point is sight perception pattern on carpet flapping patterned curtains...colours that are seen as someone there..on a course a cris course we heard story of a rug that looked like pyrhanas! Light and shade in corners..not saying its the room just thinking this might help...look at the room from squinted eyes see what you see in the dark...have you ever thought there was something in the road only to find its a shoe or carrier bag!..this might not help but im happy to take 5 mins to offer a suggestion..good luck best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Mums helper

Sep 7, 2014
Thanks, she does have poor eyesight so that might be what is contributing to what she sees. She is very sensitive to light and in the past has objected to any light in her bedroom but recently allowed me to put a low light near the door, so I might be allowed to put one in the corner. Her GP did give us .5mg lorazepam to try with her but the night I did she was already distressed and was up for a further 3 hours. With the risk of making her unsteady on her feet it didn't seem to work. I'm hoping its a phase that will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I gave up my big sunny bedroom for mum to sleep in and only once so far have we had this problem of seeing things. Got a number of hats hanging along the wall different sizes and styles. Mum kept saying there were heads on the wall, silly me, took me a while to realise she was talking about the hats. So I moved all out. Seems better now, sometimes the curtains worry her, quite flowery and I think she sometimes believes she in the garden. So slowly the bedroom is changing to neutral colours.