Irrational conversations and paranoia

Malkagus

Apr 3, 2021
My first post though I've been reading yours for a while. My husband is becoming so irrational, forgetting immediately any conversation and becoming paranoid. I try all the suggestions but end up crying so much. He won't leave me alone, constantly asking me to find things, put the tv on, fix his phone, send a message.....I want to scream. It's only early stages but I'm so exhausted already. Just wanting to have a moan cos you'll all understand!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That isn't a moan - I recognize much of what you write and would say it is all too common in dementia.

In case you haven't seen it yet, I've put a link to a useful thread, with lots of tips, below - just click the link if you would like to read it. Apart from that you have come to the right place for understanding and support so please keep posting

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
My first post though I've been reading yours for a while. My husband is becoming so irrational, forgetting immediately any conversation and becoming paranoid. I try all the suggestions but end up crying so much. He won't leave me alone, constantly asking me to find things, put the tv on, fix his phone, send a message.....I want to scream. It's only early stages but I'm so exhausted already. Just wanting to have a moan cos you'll all understand!
Hi @Malkagus ,
My husband has been pestering me with his incessant and usually absurd demands for months , so I can understand how exhausted you must be.
In my case, medication is helping a bit to decrease his anxiety and calm him down. I am also paying for a person who takes him out for a couple of hours a day.
Nevertheless the situation is physical and emotionally draining.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Malkagus and welcome to DTP
He has reached the stage where he needs someone with him constantly to reassure and direct him. I bet he is following you around everywhere (shadowing) too. I am assuming that you have tried Compassionate Communication, so I would suggest that you contact the GP. Medication (often antidepressants) can help with the anxiety.
This sort of behaviour is common in mid-stage dementia, so he might not be at such an early stage as you think.

Malkagus

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for your advice. He's just been brought home by the police for the second time, people and the police are so kind. Hes been very unsettled since our recent caravan holiday which we both loved. Hiding keys, going walkabout, disturbed nights. Im wanting to book another caravan to meet up with my sister and families after so long but a bit worried how he'll cope. I think it's too important to me so will Probably do it and deal with the consequences

Malkagus

Apr 3, 2021
We did get antidepressant medication but he takes it sporadically, same with patches. He wont let me help him as thats me taking over! Im going to ring the memory clinic on tuesday and ask their advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jorbla