Iris

alipom

Jul 18, 2011
street somerset
Has anyone watched 'Iris' a film with Judi Dench and Jim Broadbent. Its about author Iris Murdoch who develops Alzheimers. I needed a damn good cry and I know I live with Mum's Alzheimers everyday as does she, maybe I am daft but I enjoyed the film and it certainly reached into my heart and almost gave clarity to some of my heartache. Probably preaching to the converted about the film but I just finished watching it and glad I have not put me make up on yet as I cried buckets!!

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Yes I think it's a brilliant film. Iris Murdoch is one of my favourite authors and the film really brought her to life, I felt as if I knew her. Kate Winslet is excellent as the young Iris and her character merges seamlessley into the older Judi Dench. You must read John Bayley's books also if you enjoyed the film - A memoir of Iris Murdoch, Iris and the Friends and The Widower's House.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think Iris is one of the best, if not the best, film I've seen about dementia. Away From Her was fine but the one I really disliked was The Notebook. It was completely unrealistic and actually made me angry.

Judi Dench is one of my favourite actresses and she was superb in this role. All the actors were excellent.

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I watched this film a few years ago and although I enjoyed it a lot of it didnt sink in. After watching it recently I can relate so much to her bevaviour and her husband's. It is in my opinion a brilliant portrayal. I agree with previous comments about The Notebook - a nice story but ridiculous in a lot of ways.
We have a locally produced play with puppets called "It's Dark Outside" which is a supurb depiction of Alzheimers and in particular sundowning.

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
My husband mentioned it was a good film but I haven't seen it so will go onto Amazon and order it now. A good book to read is Dancing with Dementia it is quite thought provoking and full of humour from the author (forgotten her name) who is coping extremely well since her diagnosis.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well I've taken my courage in both hands and ordered it. I've never watched it as I thought I wouldn't be able to cope with watching her decline. That was at the beginning of Bill's dementia journey. Now 12 years down the line I think I could watch it as I'm much more accepting of what is to come now. Thanks for the reminder about the film.

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
I finally ordered Iris from Amazon and it was brilliant. The portrayal of Iris and her husband both as young lovers and an older couple was so believable. Judy Dench and Jim Broadbent's acting were some of the best I have ever seen. As her decline became more evident until there was nothing left of this once vibrant woman it was such a familiar scenario to those of us who have coped with a relative with dementia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well I was in the house by myself this afternoon and decided to watch Iris. Wow! It was amazing. What a love story. Judi Dench and Jim Broadbent were wonderful.

The film came out in 2001 - the year Bill was diagnosed. I remember thinking that I couldn't cope with seeing it then. I'm glad I didn't see it until now. I certainly would not have been able to cope. I see that she began to show signs of Alzheimers in 1995 and died in 1999. 4 years. It makes me realise how lucky I am that Bill is as he is 12 years since diagnosis. So many bits of the film rang true for me.

I'm so glad I watched it. I only remember reading one Iris Murdoch novel - The Bell. I want to re-read that and perhaps some of her other novels.