• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Inulin supplement for bowel issues

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Has anyone tried a supplement called Inulin to help prevent chronic constipation. My dad has had overflow diarrea due to chronic constipation. It has taken months to improve the situation using Laxido. However, I don’t think it’s great to be on laxatives indefinitely and have been looking into alternatives. I’ve read that Inulin ( which provides extra fibre) has been shown to be effective in preventing constipation. Has anyone used it ? Thank you.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Bettusboo, my mum has had IBS with constipation for many years. It is very difficult to get Laxido dosage right for her as she can tip very quickly into diarrhoea. The gastroenterologist advised whole linseeds sprinkled on food starting at 1 tablespoon daily. This food has a very gentle action as it adds some oil to the gut but also helps to retain moisture in the stools so it prevents constipation and doesn't cause diarrhoea.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Thank you. That is helpful. I think it is possible to get bread with linseeds and that might help. I have suspected IBS with my dad and he veers between over flow diarrhoea due to constipation and diarrhoea due to Laxido and it’s hard to tell which is which. I’m phasing out the Laxido and am down to half a sachet a day. The linseeds sound a good idea.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Nothing works for me - bran, prunes, apricots etc. so I am on a daily dose of Laxido - I think 2 sachets a day is about right for me. You have to get the dose right. The doctor says it is alright to take long term for chronic constipation as it is an osmotic laxative which draws water from the rest of the body. It is a good idea to drink a lot of water with it and also the doctor advised soft fruit like citrus.

He told me it can take some time to get working. I have used docusate which worked immediately but I was told not to take this regularly. I think it can lead to an electrolyte imbalance.

I have bought both inulin and linseed from a health shop - tried them for a while but didn't work for me. Maybe I should give them another go.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
With my wife
beat all medications.
I discovered them because of a free sample through the letterbox.
This was over 10 years ago so ingredients may have changed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ean