1. JoeLad

JoeLad Registered User

Jun 13, 2015
    Although I registered myself to this forum in June last year I have not been able to find enough time to introduce myself due to many factors most notably trying to grapple with the worsening dementia of my wife.
    To cut a long story short she is bedridden unable to express herself clearly. The good news is that in Dec 2015 NHS accepted to fully fund the care due to my wife following the usual assessments, but they have been very silent about the whole process since the anouncement date.

So I telephoned NHS in Jan 2016 stating recent problems for an re-assessment but they continued to remain silent

Browsing several govt. and NHS online information, I gathered the first step should have been for them to send a care manager/case Manager/Community nurse to meet us and discuss my needs etc.
    Could someone in similar situation or better, please advise
    Very many thanks JoeLad

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Sorry I can't advise. I know that many here will be able to comment on this process though. I just wanted to say 'hi' and welcome to TP. I'm glad you've posted as I'm sure you will get lots of help and support here.

3. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi Joe
    Welcome to TP
    I'm not clear about why you need a re-assessment. If they agreed to fully fund care then that is what they should be doing from the date that they said they would take on the funding. Did they put it in writing?

4. JoeLad

JoeLad Registered User

Jun 13, 2015
    Thanks fizzie

I thought that any new plan need guidance as to its operation. So I trawled various web pages on NHS CHC. This is what I found in various NHS sites

'If you are entitled to NHS contining health care, the CCG will discuss options with you as to how your care and support needs will be best provided and managed...your wishes and expectations of how and where the care is delivered should be documented and taken into account...'

'If the NHS CCG says 'yes' they will choose someone to work with you. They might be called case manager, care manager or community nurse.....'

'Where a patient is eligible for CHC, the CCG will make arrangements for care to meet their assessed needs in line with section 108-111 and 166-171 of the National Framework......'

They did put it in writing that they would finance the care for my wife

Furthermore I donot know if everything that I have been paying for care, such as
    inco sheets,wipe materials, gloves and paper bags for disposal of pads are included in the NHS care. Also the date on which the NHS starts to bear the cost of caring etc.

If the NHS had chosen a care/case Manager to work with me at the start I would have been able to clear all doubts.

5. JoeLad

JoeLad Registered User

Jun 13, 2015
    Thanks all the same Izzy
    Joelad

6. JoeLad

JoeLad Registered User

Jun 13, 2015

7. JoeLad

JoeLad Registered User

Jun 13, 2015

8. tigerlady