Intestinal pain

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
Is it common for Alzheimer's sufferers to complain of pain in the intestines and yet hospital examinations can find nothing physically wrong? My wife frequently complains of severe pains. I recently took her to the hospital but ultra-sound scans, mri, xrays showed nothing. She suffers from sensory overload where everything is exaggerated and I am wondering if this is a contributory factor towards her pains.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It could well be. My Dad used to complain of random aches & pain. I used to give him 2 paracetamol & that helped.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't think it is wise to treat something unless you know what it is.

It is quite common for PWD to overfeel pain, maybe just digestive movements or mild constipation.

Not sure paracetamol is perfect cure all in this case as it can cause constipation, but I'd perhaps increase fruit and veg and see if paracetamol when it flares up help.

nickthespur

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks all for your comments. I have not given her any painkillers as I am not sure whether this is a good idea or not. Although the pains are frequent they only last for a few minutes. I have increased the fruit, fibre and veg in her diet and hope that will work However if it is psychosomatic then probably a placebo may be the way to go. It's all new to me so I will have to see. Thanks again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976