Interviewing more help

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi TP friends,
Hope you are all managing to stay healthy in the present ......
This week I interviewed home care service to help me with things. Nick had a fall or something and hurt his back . I did not see him fall and he could not remember. It was only by bathing him and his immobility and pain that I recognized that he must have had a fall. (It must have happened when I was working in the garden or perhaps when I was somewhere else in the house.) He has recovered now. But we had over a week of difficulties as he was in some pain which required medications....which makes him even more confused and slow. We could not do our daily hikes it is a misery for both of us. As his anxiety and restlessness is even more intense and my patience is tested.
He is better now, but I have decided that now the Spitex groups are taking on new patients again, I will have someone come in every night and bath him, put himm into his pjs and hopefully put him down to bed. I can handle the days at the moment, but by the time I have finished cleaning up the kitchen in the evening .....his bed and bath are just too much for me. I am too tired.
So, I spoke to his doctor and I am interviewing these private companies to come in and do this service. The problem is that these companies want to come in at 6:15 or before. Nick is not ready to go to bed nor do I want him to go to bed at 6:15. First company is not going to work out. I will interview another in a weeks time. All these things take time to put in place. Luckily he is doing better again. But I am ready for this daily help.
Fingers crossed I can get the timing right for us and that it will work out.
ON a happier note. I will be having a "socially" distance concert in the garden. Some members of the Sinfonieorchester Basel will come and play for the neighborhood at my request on Sunday June 14th for a morning concert. I will not serve food or drink ....but have asked people to provide their own refreshments. Here in Switzerland outside activities can be up to 200 people. I am hoping to have 25 to 30 people plus my neighbors from their own gardens and terraces enjoy the music. It will be a brass ensemble, trumpets, trombones, french horns. Purcell and Handel music. Should be fantastic and something to look forward too. One of my helpers is coming on the morning to help me with Nick so that my own children and I can enjoy the music.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The concert sounds a great idea and in a lovely setting. There must be many people in present circumstances who could do with a job for a few hours each night and so it is a real shame that your needs and theirs can’t be matched up to help With Nick.

In normal times I recognise the large number of agency and LA carers who work in my area and I notice at present there are very few around. I wonder if they are refusing work or if household are nervous about having outside workers and are not employing them.

Everything is so much more difficult and complicated with this virus still around.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I can only echo marionq - the concert sounds wonderful - I really envy you that.

It seems that getting carers in at a convenient time is a problem the world over. OH has a carer who comes in to help him wash/shower, dress etc in the mornings, but she can be scheduled for any time in the morning. Today she is coming at 9.00am, but on Friday she will be coming at 11.00! When she is late I get OH his breakfast and he sits in his PJs with his android tablet or book until she arrives and I just get on with stuff.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
The concert sounds amazing @PalSal and just what you need.
I know what you mean about being tired by evening, my patience is also tested by then. I give J a shower in the mornings, well he still sort of does it himself except I'm sure parts like his feet and back don't get done so I help out a bit and try to stop him putting soap on his hair!
Hope you manage to find suitable help.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I can only echo marionq - the concert sounds wonderful - I really envy you that.

It seems that getting carers in at a convenient time is a problem the world over. OH has a carer who comes in to help him wash/shower, dress etc in the mornings, but she can be scheduled for any time in the morning. Today she is coming at 9.00am, but on Friday she will be coming at 11.00! When she is late I get OH his breakfast and he sits in his PJs with his android tablet or book until she arrives and I just get on with stuff.
@canary That sounds very inconvenient. I am praying that as it is private and I must pay for it....I will be treated more like a customer....but that is probably very American and in my dreams. I will be subject to the whims of the provider whether I like it or not.
Thanks everyone for your shares.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am praying that as it is private and I must pay for it....I will be treated more like a customer.
Im afraid that i am paying for it privately too as OH is (at the moment) self-funded.

If you cant get a later time, could you perhaps go for getting him bathed and in his PJs, but he could then sit watching TV, or whatever, and going to bed at a more convenient time?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
When my mum moved into her sheltered extra care flat I arranged the care visits at times that fitted in with her then routine (she lived with me for 3 months before hand whilst we found somewhere) - her routine was as it had ever been - she was a nightowl (something I and dau have inherited) so I wanted 9ish for morning tablets and as late as possible (at the time 10pm) for night tablets.

Sometime later I noticed carer calls had been changed significantly - and she had a morning call at 6am - which in her previous life would have been the middle of the night.

It seemed to be working and there are bigger battles - and as I'm not there it isn't affecting me.

But such an early time.