Interpreting ACE-iii score

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The score of 50 on her test is wonderful since 30 is the score you want to see
The OP is referring to an ACEiii test where maximum score is100.
There is also a more common MMSE test where the maximum score is 30.
Your mother may have been assessed using the MMSE.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The score of 50 on her test is wonderful since 30 is the score you want to see when your loved one is being tested.
There are various memory tests around. Some, like the MMSE are scored out of 30, but the ACE iii test, which was done here, is scored out of 100. Anything below 82 is considered abnormal, so a test result of 50 is really quite low.

ganymede

Apr 28, 2021
Hello, coming to this thread late, but my mother has just been assessed using ACE-iii and was given a score of 45 and a diagnosis of moderate dementia. Like you I have been looking for some more understanding of what that can tell me about where she is on her journey.

I found this paper https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...wDfGUIqeKwOUoHQ2E8ZT2KIiZo9vRlvLMIzW4m7Ieksa9
which told me 2 things:
1) the ACE-iii was designed specifically to be a useful tool to diagnose in the early stages of dementia. It's an excellent guide to whether someone is developing dementia or not, but there is no basis established for using it to differentiate between the stages of dementia. The MMSE is used for this
2) This paper suggests 'a cutoff point of 61 on the ACE-III is sensitive for distinguishing mild dementia from moderate dementia' but that it requires further study.

I hope this might be useful for you, I hope you and your Mum are both doing okay.