Internet/Youtube Links - Copyright Free?

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
I am aware when images are copyright, but how can I ensure that, for example, a music or video is copyright free? Thank you

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Chris, I’m sure the moderators will know the rules and clarify the position better, but as far as I am aware if you can access something on the web, you can post a link to it (on TP or anywhere else you happen to be, if it’s just emailing a pal you might think would be interested in something!:))

I am a heavy ‘You Tube’ user, for example (for all sorts of purposes!) .... I know some (few) people block copyright on there and you cannot see, for example, a music clip even for personal use. A lot of clips now have advertising preceding them ... in which case I am sure the sponsors are delighted the more links are posted anywhere and everywhere else on the web!;):D

TP is heavy on ‘links’ for the very serious, specific dementia related .... often posted by moderators themselves to help with information and support .... through to the banal .....from guidance towards official government sites, local or national press releases etc etc through to .......

If you think this is an issue for TP it needs to be escalated VERY quickly ..... but I would doubt the TP ‘Management’ and indeed AS have not picked up on it already if it was any cause for concern? AS themselves and many supporters use ‘You Tube’ for coverage for ‘awareness clips’, and have done for some time?

Have you got a specific concern which has prompted this enquiry?:confused:

Regards, Karen, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Just thought of an interesting point ... I know from posting poems previously on TP there are some copyright issues on the forum ...... what about original pictures and photographs posted by members?

I never posted any of my mother because I knew she would never have given consent and I always wanted to preserve her anonymity – and my own at times for certain reasons - and have given permission for only a few to be posted of myself since she died ... but anyone on the www can access them ... it doesn’t take much to register on the forum and access the Tea Room?:rolleyes:

Where do we all stand if we post a picture of say, meeting up with another TPer, or of a loved one with capacity or not, or of a group of people who just happen to be ‘caught on camera’ where we could not possibly have got consent from everyone? ...... who owns the copyright? What would happen if someone were to use them, manipulate them (easily done – even this technophobe knows how to ‘paintbrush!’;))

Once we have ourselves posted something, words, pictures, poems etc ..... I understand we have given over copyright to AS .....

... the whole issue of copyright and consent and what we post is interesting, Chris ... and may be a good time for clarification and a bit of a ‘security’ reminder .... mods?????

Karen

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
karen thank you for replying.

My query was simply for my own information, call it curiosity. It was not intended for any other purpose. Certainly not as a request for official investigation.

As with images I thought there may be some guidelines here re. links.

I didn't intend to 'open a can of worms' or cause any worry regarding members own images. Also
QUOTE If you think this is an issue for TP it needs to be escalated VERY quickly

IMHO IT IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR SUCH ACTION. I simply wanted pointing in the right direction:rolleyes: nothing more.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
This link points in the right direction:

http://www.childnet-int.org/downloads/CN_IFPI_MusicLeaflet.pdf

Using anything, words, photographs, music or video without permission may be a problem, and copyright infringement may be very costly long term.

Any photograph posted on the web - including TP tea room - can be downloaded, used and abused by anyone who wants to. Two clicks on a mouse is all it takes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/copyright-infringement-online/5816.html

If you don't want your own work copied and used via the internet, don't put it on the internet is the message from the video in the last link above.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Thank you for that Jennifer - it was very interesting.

Maybe I should have been more specific, I'll try to explain exactly what I meant.

Eg, an image may have .com, a faint trademark, can't remember them all

but how is eg a video 'marked'? How can I tell if it is not to be used unless it categorically states clearly that it is copyright?

Are there specific markings , symbols other than words to watch out for. I have not noticed anything but ... I'm not sure

I used the following today, and as far as I can see there is nothing to say I must not use it:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW5cECZx8k0

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You can link to youtube videos. It may be that when you come back to the link, the video is no longer there, because the copyright holder has asked that youtube remove it, but you don't have to worry. Even if they do, you won't get into any trouble - only (potentially) the person who uploaded the video to Youtube it in the first place.

Youtube has it's own copyright information centre http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_center

All I would ask is that any link you (or anyone else) provide is suitable for a "family viewing audience". :D

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I used the following today, and as far as I can see there is nothing to say I must not use it:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW5cECZx8k0

You didn't "use " it - you simply posted a simple link to the original.

Just like I've posted another link to the same. [I could post a link to this thread on any single website that exists, and anyone clicking on the link would then find the other links. All above board, and nothing to do with copyright or breach of copyright.]

Employing and posting a link is totally different from 'using' the original copyrighted piece. There is no copyright attached to 'links' - so nobody can be in breach of copyright by simply posting a simple link.

how is eg a video 'marked'? How can I tell if it is not to be used unless it categorically states clearly that it is copyright?

You can't tell, so you have to presume that it is copyrighted unless you are prepared to face the possible consequences, in financial terms, for breaching copyright if you make the decision to 'use' it in any way.

But, again, posting a link to it is not 'using' it.

Last edited: