Interesting Information...

Mike

Jul 21, 2003
Oxfordshire
Hello All,

In this months Reader's Digest magazine (Page 30, August 2003), they discuss briefly a Californian study that found the pain relivers Ibuprofen & Naproxen (never heard of that one) may disolve, and even prevent, the formation of brain cell plaque.

They also discuss a new drug called Memantine - that has just been licensed in the U.K. - which slows the late stages of Alzheimers.

Has anyone else heard of something as 'simple' as Ibuprofen being effective? Or anything on the new drug Memantine?

Any information would be great help. My mother, who's in her 60s has been recently diagnosed, after showing the classic signs of memory loss, confusion, loosing her words and having a poor conception of time and dates.

I am dreading what the future holds - my aging father will rapidly become unable to help her and I live over 200 miles away. But I love her dearly, and will do all that I am physically and financially able to. I have now started driving to see them at weekends to clean their house and do general DIY bits and pieces, as things have noticably declined.

But I will not allow myself to become depressed! My parents have been a true inspiration and figures of strength & diginity for me. The least I owe them is to care for them as best I can.

I'm sure all carers on this group must feel this way. Together I know we can support and encourage each other. The replies to julielittleme were truely heart warming. There are some very warm and kind people in this group.

I look forward to talking with you.

Mike

Jul 21, 2003
Oxfordshire
Dear Nada,

Many thanks for your quick reply - very much appreciated. I'll check out the links.

I shall be seeing my mother again this weekend and would be nice to be able to give her some hope, no matter how small, as she often, understandably, gets depressed at what lies ahead.

kind regards,
Mike