Interesting article about caring

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This article:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/01/caring-stroke-victim-andrew-marr-transformed

is by Jackie Ashley. She reflects on the six months she has spent caring for her husband Andrew Marr, the journalist and broadcaster, who had a life-threatening stroke.

There are of course many differences between caring for someone who has a reasonable expectation of a significant recovery and someone who is going to get worse and die. She will have known, from early on, that her stint would be time-limited, and probably only a matter of months (though of course, when someone has had a stroke there will always be a worry about the possibility of another one).

But even so, the article will enlighten people who have not had any experience of caring and give them some idea of the sheer physical effort involved and the frustrations that can arise.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi stanleypj,

I have read the article and though I am extremely happy that Andrew Marr will be back on our television again on a Sunday because he has made a full recovery, I can't equate 6 months caring to the caring we have to do with dementia. I know she has not mentioned dementia but I can't help comparing.

I would happily care for 6 years if at the end of it my loved one would recover. I have cared for over 7 years at home and still care for my husband in the nursing home he has been in for the last year. With dementia you never stop caring. I can only make the comment that there is a great difference between a cut on a leg to having a leg amputated. They are poles apart.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes, I agree.

I was thinking that if she can feel like this after six months in a relatively optimistic situation, is it any wonder that carers on TP are often desperate, depressed and even suicidal.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Although 6 months of caring with a positive end in view does not equate with what we do, at least it gives the general public who doesn't have any idea about 24/7 caring demands an inkling of the stressful requirements we have.

The more people are informed, the better, in my opinion. At least it's a start.