Inside the Care Crisis With Ed Balls

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Did anyone else watch this program? I found it a thoughtful and insightful look at the care sector. This week it was looking at care homes and the issues facing the carers, managers and owners of them. I was impressed that Ed Balls was willing to get hands-on and really find out what it is like and I was glad to see that it showed what advanced dementia was like - both the good and the bad - without the sugar coating.
Next week is looking at care at home from the view point of care agencies, visiting carers and all those non-paid carers (us!)

Its available to watch on iplayer, if you missed it

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I watched it and found it very much better than the recent ' Dementia and Us' programme, looking forward to next week's offering.

Link to repeat of episode 1 and two transmissions of episode 2
Also 'watch now' on episode 1

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I thought it was pretty good too and I take my hat off to Ed who did one week in the residential home and 2 weeks in the dementia home. It clearly opened his eyes to 'how things really are', even little things like using a hoist and the amount of time/effort that takes.

I do think he needs to learn a lot about talking to people with dementia, not least to not rush and to stop using complicated sentences (and at the same time as making asides to other people!) He was no better when visiting his own mum.

It was good to see the reality of the hard work carers do too and the relentless nature of their jobs. And the lack of any career structure was highlighted - something I hadn't thought about before.

I think the programme managed to cover quite a lot of different aspects but some things needed further explanation I thought, particularly around funding. But I appreciate there's a lot to cover and limited time to do so.

I'll definitely be watching part 2.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I thought it much better than Dementia and Us - certainly from the perspective of the reality of dementia, although clearly it is intended to be about care, not dementia.

Ed did a pretty good job. Maybe he could've spoken differently to PWD, but he's not an expert, even though his mum has it. Good on him to at least be prepared to walk the walk.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was very impressed by Ed’s willingness to muck in. It takes real skill to work in a care home and I thought his comment that carers aren’t paid the same as nursing staff was spot on. I can’t see the government subsidising that though and private care is already eye-wateringly expensive.

I’ll be watching next week too.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I was very impressed with the 19yr old carer! And I hope that they can keep him. I only watched the last part of the Dementia and Us a couple of nights ago, and wondered how Gills (thinks that’s his name!) wife got a weeks respite every 2 months. Perhaps they were self funding. Interesting when her daughter said to her that she doesn’t know how her mother copes, her mother said “Gin”.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I was very impressed with the 19yr old carer! And I hope that they can keep him. I only watched the last part of the Dementia and Us a couple of nights ago, and wondered how Gills (thinks that’s his name!) wife got a weeks respite every 2 months. Perhaps they were self funding. Interesting when her daughter said to her that she doesn’t know how her mother copes, her mother said “Gin”.

I wondered the same when I watched Dementia and Us. I was disappointed that there was no mention of the cost of respite / carers etc., and no-one appeared to be getting any outside support, other than family.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I have just downloaded on Sky Catch Up as I missed it. Although my dad is no longer with me I still take an interest in what help ( I know not much and have to battle to get it ) is available and anything to do with dementia still catches my eye.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
A reminder that the second part of this documentary is on tonight. Focus tonight is on care at home - paid and unpaid - something many of us are sadly familiar with.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Details for info.

SERIES 1: EPISODE 2
Inside the Care Crisis with Ed Balls
15 Nov 2021 - 9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC 2
SUMMARY
After spending time living and working in St Cecilia’s care homes, Ed now turns his attention to domiciliary care, as many millions more people are being looked after in their own homes. He shadows a professional carer on his 14-hour-day, discovering the financial hardships, emotional tolls and daily frustrations that carers often face.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Found it really interesting, hats off to Ed Balls for rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck in, hope that other politicians were watching and if not then they flipping well should.

One thing stood out to me when a lady (can't remember her name) closed her eyes and the carer said it was her way of saying enough (I think I've got that right, apologies if I haven't) - mum does this with me but not my brother, and it really confirmed what I always thought.

Will be watching the next episode too

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Watched both episodes of this programme, which were really honest and truthful.

So many people are doing wonderful jobs caring for people.
Superb visit to Scarborough, which is a beautiful town.

I am proud that I have cared for my husband for 31 years, through Aplastic Anaemia, a brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis for 26 years and MS Dementia for the last ten years. The NHS have been amazing too.

I’ve done all his personal care, given him his meds, arranged appointments, cooked and cleaned for him, attended to his indwelling catheter and occasional bowel accidents, which is difficult with him being disabled and I’ve pushed him in his wheelchair everywhere. I attend to his every need 24/7 and have had many sleepless nights.

I’ve done this because I love him.

Sending best wishes to all carers; you are doing a wonderful job and even if your loved one is in a care home, you are still involved in their care.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I found it a bit of a hard watch, it just bought back the vulnerability of some of these people especially the 50 year old stuck in his bed with four carer visits a day. It's so sad, he would be so much better off in a home with people around all day but apparently he is too young. He must get very lonely.

The carers were all wonderful and deserve so much more than what they get. Job satisfaction goes a long way but they have a very bad deal, no wonder they leave to work in a supermarket.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Oh and the Asian guy, I think from Pakistan who had looked after his mum until she died, he said 'it stays with you' he was so right, it does.