Inlaws newly in dementia Carehome, story thus far!

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
Long update, apologies everyone. The arrangements moved on a-pace! There was a sudden period of acceptance of their situation in the last few days and the inlaws have moved down to Wiltshire from their respite care up in Shropshire yesterday. Amazingly, both of them agreed to their home being rented out (for now) and to move to be close to their son and I, as my husband's lovely sister has been caring for them for two years and is utterly exhausted.

They have completely forgotten their previous home (they were there for 12 years up until December) and both are convinced they lived in a road with an obviously made-up name (it's nowhere anyone can remember!) It's hard to see that in such a short space of time they have forgotten such a chunk of their lives. That's why it's been so easy to bring up the idea of letting the house;- they deny ever living there. Photos of the house simply produce blank looks. Neither are allowed to drive yet FiL keeps saying he just needs an eyetest to get his licence back.

The letting agent has vetted the house, agreed the rent and all is proceeding smoothly. My husband, his sister and his bro-in-law sorted out personal belongings and furniture to come down here for their new rooms in a dementia care home close to us. And some to store and some to basically go straight in a skip.

My mother in law has a better recollection, overall, of life in general than father in law. But she does believe her mother is still alive, sadly she died in her mid 50's. However both of them have no short term memory at all. Father in Law has massive swings in mood and temper - very abusive to his wife and also to staff when he's lucid, but bizarrely when he's very confused he's more easily persuaded to behave politely and with respect towards those trying to help him. The abuse isn't new - he's been rude and short tempered towards Mother in Law for more years that I care to recall. Unfortunately, he has forgotten that she has had several strokes leading to vascular Dementia which is why she isn't mobile, why her speech and comprehension are poor, and why she is incontinent. So he's constantly rolling his eyes skyward as she starts to speak and then talks over her or swears at her. It's horrible to witness and we all intervene to spare her his abuse.

Yesterday was The Big Day! They were late leaving Shropshire as the accompanying Nurse was still photocopying their medical notes whilst they were sitting in the minibus, ready to go. The bus was very grubby inside and out. This wasn't very impressive but there was worse to come.

We welcomed them at the new carehome and they sat in reception with me as my husband took all their belongings up to their rooms. MiL pleased to see me, I gave her a very gentle hug as she is so frail. I felt a pang of great sadness as I kissed her cheek and smelled urine on her clothes - she had had an accident on the way and needed to be washed and changed. FiL immediately started moaning about how 'the first impressions aren't good at all, we won't be staying here......' Then saying the care home was in this great big valley which he didn't like (it isn't) so no idea where he thought he was. Anyhow I hugged him and welcomed him and said everything was sorted and waiting for them and lunch was being served when they were ready. We showed them to their rooms and FiL was impressed - he actually said thank you for all your hard work. And he looked forward to sleeping in his bed that night. We helped them to the dining room and explained we'd unpack for them whilst they ate. It just happened to be hairdressing day, so MiL was booked in for a wash and blowdry after her lunch - which really cheered her up.

In their rooms, I was so touched to see that the staff had left 'welcome' cards for them both and vases of flowers. They each had a little mini-bottle of wine and glasses, too. That was a lovely, kind thing to do. We started sorting through the four cases of clothes they'd brought with them. We were supposed to be completing an inventory but had to bring most items home with us as they needed nametags and unfortunately, some urine soiled trousers and pants had made their way in with clean clothing and all needed washing. At this point the manager came up and asked if we'd happened upon MiL's medications yet - we hadn't found anything and neither had he. FiL's were all there, but nothing for MiL. And this is where we got very cross with their respite carehome - their prescriptions were on a 4 weekly cycle. MiL's had ended that morning. As they were moving, the home hadn't renewed her prescriptions. So the manager had to rush off to see their new GP and sort out her medications. Unnecessary hassle, on a stressful day for all, that could have been avoided. We will write and complain formally to the parent company.

We left later that afternoon, weighed down with clothing, some of it quite smelly! The chef was cooking an old favourite for their dinner that evening. One of the carers came over to me and said that FiL, when he saw the puddings on offer couldn't decide which one to have so asked for some of everything, which made us all laugh. Last evening we washed and labelled everything we'd brought back, ready to go into their wardrobes. I must confess I left FiL's underpants to my husband.....! I did have to chuckle when we realised both of them had quite a few items of other peoples labelled clothing from their previous carehome. MiL had lost most of her makeup somehow so I bought her a few new lipsticks in bright colours. Husband said, she told me she had lipstick in her handbag but when I looked it turned out to be a tube of Pritt! Oh dear.

It was an exhausting day, but at least they are there and safe. There have been so many sad things we've found sorting through all their paperwork. A old notebook which is full on every page of names and telephone numbers. Each page has almost the same people as the page before. FiL is obsessed with phone numbers and keeps writing them down. But not referring back to the original list. His writing is poorer and more faint as the pages go on and names are spelled wrongly and numbers are illegible. Even his own name.

Thank you for reading all this! Onward and upward as they say.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That sounds like a very positive day despite the hiccups with medication and soiled clothes. It could have been much worse!
I'm very impressed with the welcome card and flowers and even more so with the wine!
It seems you have chosen well and I hope your in-laws are happy there.

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
That sounds like a very positive day despite the hiccups with medication and soiled clothes. It could have been much worse!
I'm very impressed with the welcome card and flowers and even more so with the wine!
It seems you have chosen well and I hope your in-laws are happy there.
Thank you Saffie - the manager and staff have been lovely to deal with, very caring and thoughtful. Just a small independent home in a little group of three. You're so right, considering what might have gone wrong, it was a pretty good day!!!!

Quick question to anyone reading - how do you answer delusional questions? Yesterday, I basically parried anything I was told that was clearly untrue, without agreeing or disagreeing. I decided that if it was essentially harmless, just to let it go. Others in the family have decided "it's healthier to give them the truth, with evidence whenever it was felt it would help. We never allowed either of them to state an important untruth unchallenged." What does everyone else do? The example in question being = 'we own a launderette in Torremolinos.....' ???!!!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
we own a launderette in Torremolinos.....' ???!!! could be worse....." a bawdy house in Barcelona " perhaps:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D
I have learned the hard way never to go with the confrontational reply. I guess I might have comeback with " Oh I bet that was a busy place, with all those holiday makers" rather than saying "No you don't. You are a retired tea bag stuffer" or whatever.
It's pointless trying to rationalised with someone whose mind has ceased to function on an accurate level.....a bit like ( in our house:eek::rolleyes:) trying to rationalise with a two year old granddaughter:D:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, I agree, I would just go along with whatever is said. It does no harm to anyone and why cause any confrontation when none is necessary is my view. I always say that logic flies out of the window when dementia walks through the door and the truth sometimes goes with it!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Quick question to anyone reading - how do you answer delusional questions? Yesterday, I basically parried anything I was told that was clearly untrue, without agreeing or disagreeing. I decided that if it was essentially harmless, just to let it go. Others in the family have decided "it's healthier to give them the truth, with evidence whenever it was felt it would help. We never allowed either of them to state an important untruth unchallenged." What does everyone else do? The example in question being = 'we own a launderette in Torremolinos.....' ???!!!

I don't know about anybody else, but no amount of cast-iron evidence, even if it had been signed and sealed by a high court judge, would ever have unconvinced my mother once she had an idea fixed in her head. We would all have been 'in league' in our foul conspiracy about whatever it was. I would just go along with it, though not always easy, esp. if it involved accusations about someone else. There was often a lot of tongue-biting on my part and assurances that I would 'get on to a solicitor first thing tomorrow' - anything for relative P and Q.

However it"s very easy to go along with anything that doesn't matter - and I can't help wondering how you would ever prove that anyone DIDN'T have a launderette in Torremolinos!

When it comes to dementia, truth is often an overrated commodity, IMO...

So glad the move went well! Fingers Xed for all plain sailing now.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
We go along with, or ignore, everything fantastical and nonsensical so long as it isn't harmful to MIL or others.

We only challenge beliefs that are dangerous, and the hurtful, cruel things she says to people and about people. She's always been a person who prided herself on saying what she thinks, and now it appears that a lot of what she thinks is pretty nasty. My son is getting a lot of it at the moment sadly. He's only in his 20s, and he's bewildered by it, but beats it stoically. He visits, he rings, he offers to take her out, or fetch her shopping, and she's vicious about him in return.

I'm afraid I lose my rag occasionally and tell her that if she doesn't stop saying such nasty things about her young grandson then I'm off. I'm not sitting there listening to such claptrap.

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
Jaygun, that's very sad and hurtful behaviour - of course that needs to be challenged. My FiL, only a very few years ago before we even suspected Dementia said that his own grandson, a truly lovely lad, 'drinks and drives'. I was horrified that FiL would make up such a nasty lie (and it was, trust me). He backed down when I demanded proof....

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Jaygun, that's very sad and hurtful behaviour - of course that needs to be challenged. My FiL, only a very few years ago before we even suspected Dementia said that his own grandson, a truly lovely lad, 'drinks and drives'. I was horrified that FiL would make up such a nasty lie (and it was, trust me). He backed down when I demanded proof....

I know, you wonder where on earth they get such ideas don't you?

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Tatiana,

You might find the following thread useful as it explains how to deal with such issues but also gives some insight into how things are perceived by the dementia sufferer too.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Fiona

Thanks Fiona.

We are reading this daily at the moment as a reminder, because we have been getting it pretty wrong. :( We are mostly gracious, and always intend to be kind, but find it difficult to be endlessly patient all the time. Sometimes we handle things the wrong way.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that I handle something the wrong way every day to be honest.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Ii think, if truth be told, we all struggle and it is hard to find your patience if someone is fixated and in repeat mode for hours on end. As much as it is part of the illness it is amazing how we can also live with the effects of this for many years after the events. I can remember a time when my grandmother had dementia and we were staying with her for the weekend. My parents had gone out on the Saturday evening to a friend's silver wedding party. We were at home and my grandmother was sundowning. Firstly she spoke as though I was my mother and that my youngest sister was a baby still. All night long she asked me to go check on the baby and make sure she was ok. Then the constant asking where my parents were. This was 40 years ago now, but I still remember it vividly if anyone mentions the word dementia. LOL

At the end of the day we can only do our best. Dementia tests us as much as it does the sufferer.

Fiona

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Ii think, if truth be told, we all struggle and it is hard to find your patience if someone is fixated and in repeat mode for hours on end. As much as it is part of the illness it is amazing how we can also live with the effects of this for many years after the events. I can remember a time when my grandmother had dementia and we were staying with her for the weekend. My parents had gone out on the Saturday evening to a friend's silver wedding party. We were at home and my grandmother was sundowning. Firstly she spoke as though I was my mother and that my youngest sister was a baby still. All night long she asked me to go check on the baby and make sure she was ok. Then the constant asking where my parents were. This was 40 years ago now, but I still remember it vividly if anyone mentions the word dementia. LOL

At the end of the day we can only do our best. Dementia tests us as much as it does the sufferer.

Fiona

Thanks Fiona. I have a similar memory if my grandmother talking to me as if I was my mother. It definitely sticks with you.

We're very good with the repetitiveness oddly. I find it harder to handle the nastiness to my children, and my husband struggles with the waste of time medical appointments where MIL won't answer the doctor's questions so nothing gets done, and then she's complaining about the issue we took her to the doctors for before we even get her home again. It bothers her all the time, but she wouldn't tell the doctor about it and swore black was white when we told the doctor what she's been saying to us, got hysterical and refused to be examined.

Actually, we both struggle with the "irrational and hard to help" stuff.

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
I try to be non committal too I find the odd Hmmmmm helps as wel as a smile. If it's not a question I don't answer. But I find it hard to not get frustrated especially when mum banging in about how I ruined her marriage (?????) and how wonderful my ex Husband is (ha ha ha). Sometimes you can't help yourself. I frequently have to tell her that if she shouts at me I will go home!! Hoping to do gardening with her next week which might help????

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar