Initial Test

Jenni23

Jan 13, 2014
My dad went to the drs today and had an initial test for memory loss. He scored very low (11) and has been referred for blood tests and to the memory clinic. What happens now? he has been advised not to drive. He seems to be accepting that there is something wrong. He knows the word he wants to say in his head but cant quite get it i.e. watch instead of clock etc. Can anyone give any suggestions that could help him in these early stages? I have been told to create a memory book from when he was born, any other suggestions would be gratefully received!
thank you

griffy

Jan 10, 2014
initial year

Hello my mom is in the same boat. We have just been given a date for a meeting to be assessed. Im sorry i cant give you advice but thought we could be friends and share our journeys together. I think in the months to follow thus forum will be used frequently just to get feelings out or advice they all seem so helpful and kind. Today i seem to be getting upset all the time for no reason and ive only just begun this journey. No idea what to expect. Sorry i seem to have rambled.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello & welcome .........

Jenni 23 , Would just like to say hello & Welcome :) to T P ( Talking Point ) tho am sorry to read about your Dad :( ( My Father was diagnosed in 2009 so you have my sympathy ) Sending lots of vibes & support for the M Clinic ( will you be going with him ? ) & hope it goes as well as it can do

Yes a very good idea to make / start a M Book :) there is a T P 'er who is very helpful :) & will give useful Information on how to get started ! Sorry am not sure how to get the *Old Information * linked up to your Thread ! To help you both it would be a good idea if you read & printed out the very useful A S Fact sheets ( Click on the A S Resource Box Top R Hand side of this page / drop down Box All the Fact Sheets are done A ---- Z & come under Subject Headings** E g Medication etc Am sure you will find them very useful & plus in the same Box you can Link * up to your local A S Support Group again very useful especially if you are a long distance Carer ? Most Groups have drop in Advice days / & or special Social Cafes where your Dad might like to go ? Chance to make new friends & try out a new activity etc Hope this helps & try not to worry about your Dad 's speech etc my Dad is the same he called the fence a barrier ! Just relax :) & ignore it & carry on chatting to your Dad as normal

Looking forward to seeing you around on T Point & look out for the T P Hosts :) they ( hopefully ) will reply to you & hope you settle into T P & help with any T P problems !

Love Grove x x

Jenni23

Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Yes me too. Went to see my dad tonight and he has accepted it and can explain that the words are on the tip of his tongue but can't quite get them out. Given time he seems to get them. The main thing in my head is the progression of the loss and the speed! Helpful to know others are in the same boat. Thank you

Trevillion

Feb 6, 2011
Hi Jenni,

Sorry to hear about your Dad and glad you have found TP, it has been a big source of comfort and advice for me for a number of years.

And...sorry to add a dull practical point but wondered if you have a power of attorney arrangement for your Dad at all? You don't gave to invoke it yet until your Dad is ready but having almost missed the boat on it ourselves...which would hsve been a nightmare in trying to sort Mum's finances etc. I would strongly recommend you look into it and get one set up while your Dad had the capacity to agree to it.

Not much fun but...important for the journey which you and your Dad may very unfortunately find yourselves on.

Hope things go ok at the memory clinic.

I would agree with grove....continue to chat with your Dad as normal. ...it will also help him to stay relaxed ..

Take care,
Trevillion x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Talking Point mobile app

Jenni23

Jan 13, 2014
Thank you. All finances are joint with my mum so poa should be ok. Just feel a little helpless and I am worried about how quickly it may progress for her sake as well. Good to know others are there.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear jenni23,

I am sorry to read of your Father's problems - but finding TP will help you enormously. Have a read of the posts, but always bear in mind that each person's problems are individual - dementia affects people in many different ways.

On your side right now is the time to get things in order, such as finances and so on, and POA as Trevillion says is an important step to take.

But another very important thing is to make the most of your dad as he is, before other changes happen. Spending happy times together where possible, however simple, will be good for all of you.

How quickly dementia progresses is unknown, so grab golden moments while you can.

Jenni23

Jan 13, 2014
Thank you. He is going for blood tests tomorrow then memory clinic. Do we just wait on results can we do anything until then?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Jenni welcome to TP

I am sorry to hear about your worries about your Dad.It is good to hear that bloodtests have already been arranged as well as referral to a memory clinc. It seems like that GP is on the ball.
The reason I say this is from my experience and what I have read on here, the blood tests are often not done before a visit to the memory clinic.
I do not wish to build your hopes up because this is quite rare, but sometimes their is a deficiency, which can mimic dementia symptoms, this happened with my dad. he was very low in folic Acid.

Personally I dont think that until visits to the memory clinic start that their is very much you can do, except for certain legal things. I see others here have mentioned LPA (lasting power of attorney)
in an earlier post you mentioned that all the accounts are joint with your mum, so POA should be ok
I am sorry to say that if a bank thinks someone may have lost capacity, they can freeze joint accounts.
It is LPA you need not just POA.

I am wondering if making a flip chart with pictures of things dad might need to say but cant, would be of any of any help.

My advice is to enjoy times you have with your dad and mum, make as many good memories for as long as you can.
Look after you mum as much as you can, as she will be under the greatest pressure.
also to come here and have a rant when you need to
Ask us as many questions as you want/need.

Please let us know how you get on.

Jenni23

Jan 13, 2014
Thank you for your advice. My sister and I have started looking out some photos and were going to make a book up from his birthdate to now and future. It seems to be names and places he is missing. We will put them all in the book to use as a little prompt.

I will speak to my mum re poa as she thought it would be ok if joint but I will get her to sort it out.

I will keep you posted after the results.

Thanks again

arbednelra

Feb 9, 2014
Contented Dementia- is a book that has really been helping me.

My dad went to the drs today and had an initial test for memory loss. He scored very low (11) and has been referred for blood tests and to the memory clinic. What happens now? he has been advised not to drive. He seems to be accepting that there is something wrong. He knows the word he wants to say in his head but cant quite get it i.e. watch instead of clock etc. Can anyone give any suggestions that could help him in these early stages? I have been told to create a memory book from when he was born, any other suggestions would be gratefully received!
thank you

My husband was diagnosed almost a year ago now- and is in early stages. A friend recommended a book that is really helping....Contented Dementia. In fact it led me here. It gives lots of things to do and suggestions.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
thank you

Ask him how he wants you to help him. I thought mum might get annoyed if I tried to guess the words, she wants the black and white things that taste nice. After Eights? No they come in a box together. Stumped. They are fruit. Ahhhh Grapes, purple and green, maybe she is seeing them on an old black and white television.

She says that if I fill in the blanks for the words she can't find she finds it a relief not an annoyance. So now I fill in the blanks.

Find places where he might like to go for entertainment - perhaps a lunch club, what are his interests? Encourage them if you can.

Call the council ask for a carers assessment, and an assessment for your Dad. They can supply things like whiteboards, talking books, very simple clocks with the day on it, to remind him what day it is.

Look to the future, get the fire brigade in to do a free safety assessment, they fit fire alarms for free and give safety advice.

See if there is a service like Crossroads Care so that while he is still active he has new people coming in to take him places or to talk to him, it might make it easier if you have to have carers in further down the road.

Get a health and welfare and financial Power of Attorney put in place while he still has capacity.

It's all a bit of a whirlwind in the beginning, well that's how I found it but am glad I did these things.

Last edited: