Information re Memantine

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
We now have our prescriptions delivered. I've just answered the door to a delivery of Memantine. It actually says "28 Memantine treatment initiation 5.10.15.20mg pack tabs". It also says on the label "as directed on pack as requested by mental health team.
I don't know who has prescribed them and why. He hasn't seen anyone from the mental health team and nobody from there has been in touch.
He saw a doctor on Tuesday about a rash on his back and was given a prescription for treatment for that, but nothing was said about his Alzheimer's.
This is totally out of the blue. I don't think I should consider given them to him until I've spoken to the doctor.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
I would contact the pharmacy and make sure it isn’t for someone else. If it’s not I would speak to the doctor as this should be discussed before taking them.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
It can’t be prescribed by a GP so must be someone on the adult mental health team such as a consultant! I would check, mistakes can be made

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I've just phoned the chemist and the woman I spoke to was the one who processed the prescription. She told me that she too wondered about it and told me it was prescribed by my doctor. She said that as it would be difficult for me to get through on the phone to the doctor, she would go and find out more about it herself. The chemist is next door to the surgery. So I'll wait to hear from her. The doctor who prescribed it has never seen my husband. Although he's our doctor he only took over from the doctor who we had seen last year as she left. But he is well established here, we just haven't seen him. I did speak to him on the phone once and told him I thought my husband should be seen by the memory clinic. He said he would refer him but that it would take some time to action.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I've just had a call back from the chemist. She went to the surgery and was given a copy of a letter, which I assume was addressed to the doctor, from the mental health team. It said "following the meeting regarding (my husband) it was agreed that a trial of Memantine ........" etc., so she assumed I had forgotten about this meeting. I explained we have not seen anyone so this meeting must be between themselves without seeing the patient. So she suggests I get a phone call appointment with my doctor, which I shall attempt to do.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well I managed to get a phone conversation with my doctor booked, the earliest date being 30th January. I did leave a message that I would not be giving my husband the Memantine until spoken with the doctor.
However, today I also received a call from the Community Therapy Team. The lady asked me how I was, so I told her I was a bit stressed. When asked why I told her about the Memantine episode. So she booked a time to come and see my husband, which was her reason for phoning, but also offered to try and get in touch with my doctor about the Memantine. Whether it was she or whether it was my message but I actually got a telephone call back from my doctor.
It appears he was also under the impression that my husband had been seen by the mental health team. So it must have been their letter that was misleading. The outcome of it is that the doctor says not to give my husband the tablets but to come and see him. Appointment made.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well I met this new doctor of ours. It appears he's been with the surgery for quite some time and now he's our doctor. I had heard he was quite laid back. Well so laid back I'm surprised he didn't fall off his chair. I explained that like other carers of PWDs I was prepared to cope with my husband's illness, keep him safe and do the best I can for him. But I was not prepared to have to manage his medication without medical assistance. Hence I was not happy to give him tablets prescribed for him without him being seen. He didn't bat an eyelid. The outcome of the visit was that he will write to the memory clinic and advise that they see us in person and explain about the tablets. He said it could take some time.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Well I met this new doctor of ours. It appears he's been with the surgery for quite some time and now he's our doctor. I had heard he was quite laid back. Well so laid back I'm surprised he didn't fall off his chair. I explained that like other carers of PWDs I was prepared to cope with my husband's illness, keep him safe and do the best I can for him. But I was not prepared to have to manage his medication without medical assistance. Hence I was not happy to give him tablets prescribed for him without him being seen. He didn't bat an eyelid. The outcome of the visit was that he will write to the memory clinic and advise that they see us in person and explain about the tablets. He said it could take some time.
Shocking! How horrid to have all this to sort out.

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
My husband (he’s just turned 58) was referred to the mental health team after his yearly assessment where he had had a considerable drop in his Alzheimer’s. The consultant came to see us at home within a couple of weeks and prescribed Memantine at that stage on top of his Donepezil. He was rediagnosed at that point to be moderate/severe. They also changed his sertraline to Mirtazipine which sees him sleeping much better and for longer in the mornings (9am instead of 6am!) The mental health nurse has been to see us literally weekly since last August making sure the medication is working ok and he has no side effects. The prescriptions have just been signed over to the GP to prescribe. We have been so lucky with his care through them and social services and I hope things settle for you too