Information re..Memantine required please

jilljay

May 22, 2005
Birmingham
My daughter has been offered Memantine in conjunction with her Rivastigamine.
Has anyone any experience of these combination of drugs and particularily the improvement rate? I am very wary to use it?:confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi jilljay, I looked up the drugs you referred to on the AS factsheet on drugs. There they are referred to by names I recognize, ie Ebixa and Exelon.
If you look them up, you might learn more about them.
Sorry I can`t be of more help, but have no experience of either of the 2 drugs.
LOve Sylvia x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jilljay

My husband has memantine in combination galantamine. I haven't noticed a vast improvement since he started on memantine, but I know a lot of people have improved on it.

Obviously I can't tell you how it would work with your daughter, but if your daughter is deteriorating quickly it should be worth a try.

Let us know how you get on.

Love,

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
memantine (EBIXA)

Hi,my wife has now been on this for about 3 months and it has helped her VERY mutch in her AWARENESS and added a little bit more QUALITY to her everyday life.but!!! this drug in our experience must be introduced at a very low dosage and gradually built up to the max that it is safe for her,I will explain WHY..

ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO WE TRIED MEMANTINE(EBIXA) AFTER THE FIRST 2 DOSES SHE TOOK A VERY BAD REACTION TO IT,I CANNOT REMEMBER THE DOSAGE BUT IN SEEING THE BETTER RESPONSE SHE HAS NOW FROM TAKING IT IN A VERY LOW DOSAGE AT FIRST.

IN OUR OWN EXPERIENCE THIS DRUG HAS BEEN VERY GOOD AND WORKED WONDERS FOR US..

ALL MY BEST WISHES

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
Some research ( http://www.memantine.com/en/studies/further_literature/2003/hartmann_moebius/) has suggested that a combination of a cholinesterase inhibitor, such as Rivastigmine, and memantine (Ebixa) is more effective than Aricept alone. Although this research is not conclusive, there is little evidence to support a contrary view. Further research (http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/291/3/317), published in January 2004, reinforces this notion. It concluded "In patients with moderate to severe AD receiving stable doses of donepezil, memantine resulted in significantly better outcomes than placebo on measures of cognition, activities of daily living, global outcome, and behaviour and was well tolerated. These results, together with previous studies, suggest that memantine represents a new approach for the treatment of patients with moderate to severe AD".

Ebixa works in a completely different way from the cholinesterase inhibitors. Furthermore, a person's symptoms could become worse if they stopped taking Aricept, which could then make it difficult to assess their suitability for Ebixa.

jilljay

May 22, 2005
Birmingham
Thankyou so much

thankyou so much for your very quick responses.
the information has been VERY useful to me.It is so kind of you to answer ,and is much appreciated!
I really dont know at this time whether to try it, as my daughter is on other drugs to, and it is such a worry regarding side affects!!
I wish the powers that be would use just one name for these drugs as I had heard of Ibexa but not memantine and of course turns out to be the same!!
Her Exalon has now turned into Prometax another great concern then ,,yes you have guessed it ,,same again!!
I am sure we are thought of as pharmacists!!
Anyway thank you once again ,you have all been SO helpful!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA